cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading, what lens should I buy?

KaraBee
Contributor
Photography started as a hobby for me, but now that I have built up the skills and experience I want to make it a profession. The camera I first bought was a Rebel T3, but I'm looking into upgrading to a Canon 5D mark ii. I have 3 lenses- a EF 50mm 1.4, the kit EF 70-200mm, and the kit EF-S 18-55mm. I really love using my 18-55mm but I know I won't be able to use it on the full frame camera. What's a good full frame lens that's kinda like the 18-55mm. I do have a budget and I love the canon EF 16-35mm, but that's way too expensive. I'm thinking about $500. Thanks!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If you're looking to Canon brand lenses, there are four that come to mind, but two that you may be able to get for something near your price range.

The EF 24-70mm f/2.8L is well out of the $500 range -- so that's probably out.

There's also the new EF 24-70mm f/4L version -- but even the f/4 version is well out of the price range.

The EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM will be within the $500 price range even when purchased as "new".  I have not personally used this lens so you should check reviews.  

However... the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is a lens whose "new" retail price is well outside your range, but you can often find good deals on this lens ... frequently just around $600 for a lens which is technically "used" but you can think of it as "new".  

The 24-105mm is the "kit" lens included when someone wants, say, a 5D III body + lens kit.  But when I bought my 5D III, I was unable to find a retailer who had the "body only" version of the packaging.  The retailer sold me the camera as a "body only" and removed the lens from the "kit" (so my packaging is for a body + lens kit) and then "white boxed" the lens to be sold separately.  If you look at the price of a 5D III "body only" versus a "body + lens" kit, the price difference (last time I checked... I don't happen to be looking right now) was only about $550.

So there's a lot of people who will sell this lens for about $600.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Thanks for responding. Believe me, before investing a lot of money into lenses like these I'll be renting and testing them before I even think about putting that money down. 🙂
Announcements