cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading, what lens should I buy?

KaraBee
Contributor
Photography started as a hobby for me, but now that I have built up the skills and experience I want to make it a profession. The camera I first bought was a Rebel T3, but I'm looking into upgrading to a Canon 5D mark ii. I have 3 lenses- a EF 50mm 1.4, the kit EF 70-200mm, and the kit EF-S 18-55mm. I really love using my 18-55mm but I know I won't be able to use it on the full frame camera. What's a good full frame lens that's kinda like the 18-55mm. I do have a budget and I love the canon EF 16-35mm, but that's way too expensive. I'm thinking about $500. Thanks!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If you're looking to Canon brand lenses, there are four that come to mind, but two that you may be able to get for something near your price range.

The EF 24-70mm f/2.8L is well out of the $500 range -- so that's probably out.

There's also the new EF 24-70mm f/4L version -- but even the f/4 version is well out of the price range.

The EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM will be within the $500 price range even when purchased as "new".  I have not personally used this lens so you should check reviews.  

However... the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is a lens whose "new" retail price is well outside your range, but you can often find good deals on this lens ... frequently just around $600 for a lens which is technically "used" but you can think of it as "new".  

The 24-105mm is the "kit" lens included when someone wants, say, a 5D III body + lens kit.  But when I bought my 5D III, I was unable to find a retailer who had the "body only" version of the packaging.  The retailer sold me the camera as a "body only" and removed the lens from the "kit" (so my packaging is for a body + lens kit) and then "white boxed" the lens to be sold separately.  If you look at the price of a 5D III "body only" versus a "body + lens" kit, the price difference (last time I checked... I don't happen to be looking right now) was only about $550.

So there's a lot of people who will sell this lens for about $600.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Wedding photographers will often refer to the 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 IS as "bread-n-butter" lenses because they are probably the two most commonly used lenses.”

Right on! I used and use these two lenses 90% of the time whether shooting a job or for hobby. I own some forty lenses but these pair are the “go to” lenses.

I would advise against any of the menses you have. I would either stop using them or see if you can find someone to buy them. You could keep the 50mm f1.4 but personally I never use one except for hobby stuff.

You can not imagine how much your equipment defines you. Oh sure, you can take pictures with a Rebel but so can everybody. And that is the point! I am nearing 70 and have been at this for many years. Every so often a client will ask what equipment I use. If I said Rebel, the reply is. “Well uncle Bob has a Rebel and he will shoot it for free.” If you are serious about going 'pro', do it. But go pro not half way. But remember you have to have and offer something that people can not do for themselves or get done for nothing. Why should I hire you? You have equipment that Walmart sells. So you say, you have a good eye. Right, apparently not good enough to get top drawer tools.

A buddy of mine had a potential client come in to his studio for an interview and after a while she left. But as she was leaving she said, “I thought you were using professional equipment.” Closed the door never to return. We couldn't figure out what she meant as his 5D Mk III was on a tripod with the Canon 85mm f1.2 L lens on it. But I noticed he had a Tamron lens cap on it and that is what she saw. Coincidence? Who knows but he lost that sale.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Like I said, I am going to a 5D mii really soon which is why I asked for everyone's opinion on the lens. I don't have a lot of business, actualluy pretty close to none, the ones I do now at only friends and family, but I have real gigs coming up within the next few months which is why I'm upgrading. I am not going half way, I am young, working almost full time job about to get a raise and promotion, working a bunch of side jobs JUST so I can get this thing started. I can't afford tens of thousands of equipment at the moment. I can afford a 5D mii, and I can afford about five hundred dollars on a lens right now. But I do have to worry about payments, insurance, build up my savings so i wont go in debt, bills, etc. I can invest MAYBE $1000 dollars at the end of each month. which is my plan to invest whatever extra into this while hoping to build up customers and business to put towards it as well. I have everything planned out, i just need to work out what I need to invest in FIRST then build up the rest. And I AM dropping my cheap lenses, again which is why I'm asking for everyone's suggestions.

Thank you for your comments about the 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 though.

Have a nice day.

"I can't afford tens of thousands of equipment at the moment."

Go find a good used, or new white box, 24-105mm f4 L.  It will make a great starting place.

EB

That's exactly what I'm doing. I can't afford brand new and I know I can find really nice equipment in really good shape on eBay or craigslist. But I need to know what lens before I actually seriously consider something. But I have plenty of suggestions from everyone else now, so thanks anyway.

Is KaraBee male or female?  A little off your topic but consider your wardrobe also.  Limnited funds at the present means you need to save some money for clothes.  It is very important you don't show up to a shoot, not looking the part.

I prefer dark and I ask my female assistants to wear pants not skirts or dresses. No shorts and certainly not Levi's.

Always remember, if you are going 'pro' go 'pro'.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

A buddy of mine had a potential client come in to his studio for an interview and after a while she left. But as she was leaving she said, “I thought you were using professional equipment.” Closed the door never to return. We couldn't figure out what she meant as his 5D Mk III was on a tripod with the Canon 85mm f1.2 L lens on it. But I noticed he had a Tamron lens cap on it and that is what she saw. Coincidence? Who knows but he lost that sale.

I see your point, but there may be a good side to that experience: Someone who is so easily influenced by superficialities may not turn out to be an ideal client.

Another side to it is that sometimes the best defense is a good offense. Maybe your friend could have made a point of mentioning the importance of having the correct equipment and said a few words about how he goes about selecting his.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

" Maybe your friend could have made a point of mentioning the importance of having the correct equipment ..."

Bob,

She did not let him get that far.  We had just entered his studio.  And, yes, this is probably an extreme case but it does indicate people do notice you.  When you are a 'pro', I mean you put groceries on the table with your camera, everything about you is important.  People have to want to hire you.  You don't wear blue jeans to a $2000 wedding shoot and you don't use a Rebel with the kit lens.

It is the same thing.

EB

@KaraBee wrote:
I've been doing photography for almost two years, have taken dozens of classes, worked personally with several photographers, I've learned the camera I have now inside and out, I have been doing people's pictures professionally with just my Rebel and the pictures have turned out phenomenal, and I have work lined up which is why I need to get a lens soon. And trust me, before I put that kind of money down I'll be renting and testing them to make sure it meets my needs. Thanks!

Don't neglect to pick the brains of the professional photographers with whom you've worked. Because they're in a position to assess your interests and skill set better than we are, their advice is likely to be, on the whole, better than ours.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

And the correct answer was by Bob from Boston,

"The only one that springs to mind in that price range is the EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS. For around twice your budget (less if you buy it used), the 24-105mm f/4L is very good."

Well he was mostly right.  Like Tim said the 24-105mm f4 is selling for a little under $700 at a lot of places.  Even for a new lens and it is an "L".  Not even close to "twice your budget".  The 28-135mm is a very good starter lens.   I have one and I like it's focal length very much.

You mentioned it is also a hobby, so get the lens right now and learn it.  If you want to be succesful as a "pro" you must know your equipment and you must develop an "eye".

EB

Yeah, this is where biggs and I differ radically. You have the lenses to "know your equipment" but have you considered that becoming a pro entails more than glass? Glass is just the "tip of the iceberg" in terms of necessary equipment.

Coming to this forum and asking what glass to buy will generate a lot of suggestions. Including those of the self-annointed "experts" who may have an inkling of lens performance but are deaf and blind to the needs of beginners.

It's your choice but if writing checks is what you like doing, go with the advice to spend. Frankly, the more excessively you show an interest in spending, the more excited some of these folks are likely to become. 🙂

Announcements