cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tulip lens cuts off corners

Xain
Contributor

i have a t6i and i had gotten an altera tulip lense hood.  For some reason when i use the hood, it rounds out the corners of the picture when zoomed fully out.  I have the bigger petals on the top and bottom and the smaller ones on the sides.  It looks like the there is a ring inside the zoom lense i use that may seem to stop the hood from screwing on all the way.  Is the hood not a correct fit or am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"...nothing beats getting out and trying the things you see yourself."

I wholeheartedly agree with that.  Doing is learning.  Remember what you are doing is very important, too.  WHat works, what doesn't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

You don't want M mode (Manual) for most things.  Maybe never. Watch YouTube tutorials on Tv mode and Av mode. Tv is time value or "shutter priority" and Av is Aperture Value.  When shutter speed is critical because the subject is moving and you need to freeze the action use Tv mode where you pick the shutter speed and the camera picks the right aperture to match it. Conversely when your aperture is what you want to control because you want a shallow or a deep depth of field in focus use Av mode to pick the aperture opening size in the lens and the camera will then select the right shutter speed for that aperture. 

Also so watch a few YouTube videos on the "exposure triangle" to get aperture, shutter speed and ISO down pat. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Xain
Contributor
I keep forgetting about those, always thought M was the more preferred mode. I'll check YouTube definitely. Would av be better for taking night shots? I know a good zoom lense or telephoto lense is recommended for the moon, but I go to several places for Xmas lights so would that be a better choice for those?

If the lens has IS, first try P mode. If that does not work try handheld-night-scene-mode. It takes four shots at a higher shutter speed and aligns them. I have had pretty good luck with it.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/qt_photograph_holiday_lights_article.shtml?catego...

"You don't want M mode (Manual) for most things."

But you do want it for certain things.  No mode is best.  They all end up in the same place.  The difference is which is easier to accomplish the assigned goal.

" Would av be better for taking night shots?"

Could be but no guarantee.

"... recommended for the moon"

Here manual is the preferred method.

"...for Xmas lights so would that be a better choice for those?"

Here manual is the preferred method

*********************************************************************************************************

On this topic....

"I know a good zoom lense or telephoto lense is recommended for the moon,..."

At least 400mm is required for a reasonable Moon shot.  It is still on the short side an 600mm is better.  Even more if you can swing it.  A lens like the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 for Canon EF is a good place to start.

EB

For shots of the moon, full manual including ISO following the 'Looney 11 rule' (Google it) is probably best.

You've all been very helpful and I appreciate it.  I started playing around the the Tv setting and the shots came out rather good.  I feel very limited having only the 58mm standard lense, think its a x2 telephoto (its not a very big lense or even a very big zoom), and a real small wide angle lense.  Probably a decent start.  My girlfriend loves taking shots of landscaping, the moon, and getting close ups of flowers and butterflies, so whats needed for those will hopefully come in time.

"...whats needed for those will hopefully come in time."

No one lens will do all that.  You will need several !  Smiley Happy

EB

@Xain wrote:

You've all been very helpful and I appreciate it.  I started playing around the the Tv setting and the shots came out rather good.  I feel very limited having only the 58mm standard lense, think its a x2 telephoto (its not a very big lense or even a very big zoom), and a real small wide angle lense.  Probably a decent start.  My girlfriend loves taking shots of landscaping, the moon, and getting close ups of flowers and butterflies, so whats needed for those will hopefully come in time.

The 58mm is likely the filter size of the lens, not the actual lens focal length.

If you got the genuine Canon kit, then most likely you have the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM kit lens. 

That lens has outstanding image quality, especially for a kit lens. There is a lot you can do with that lens. While you say you 'feel' limited, you should use the lens enough so you 'know' where it is limiting you.

Do you need more 'reach' consider adding the EF-S 55-250 IS STM lens.

Do you want a shallower depth of field and better low light performance then consider adding the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens.

Do you want a wider angle lens then consider adding the EF-S 10-18 IS STM lens.

But, again learn to get the most out of the lens you have before going and spending money. Many of us here started in the film days with a single prime lens, that was about mid-range between your 18-55 lens. We learned to zoom with our feet. That was actually a good thing, as you learn as you move the perspective and lighting changes too. 

Xain
Contributor
Wow, that's a lot to take in. Unfortunately I never really thought of photography other than something fun to do when I was growing up. Now I see just how involved it can be and just what kind of shots can come out of different individual settings and different lenses. I did want to go back real quick about the tulip hood though. I just happened to look at it and read that it says 58mm. Im pretty sure that's just the fit, so would that mean it's just the wrong shape or the pedals to long and that's what's rounding out the corners when fully zoomed out? I'm definitely goin to go through these messages again in case I need a remembrance but I like to have the extra feedback.

@Xain wrote:
Wow, that's a lot to take in. Unfortunately I never really thought of photography other than something fun to do when I was growing up. Now I see just how involved it can be and just what kind of shots can come out of different individual settings and different lenses. I did want to go back real quick about the tulip hood though. I just happened to look at it and read that it says 58mm. Im pretty sure that's just the fit, so would that mean it's just the wrong shape or the pedals to long and that's what's rounding out the corners when fully zoomed out? I'm definitely goin to go through these messages again in case I need a remembrance but I like to have the extra feedback.

Yes, the tulip hood has a diameter of 58mm the same diameter as the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM kit lens. 

As posted earlier the lens hood needs to be designed not only for the diameter of the lens, so it physically fits, but, also for the focal length of the lens, so it doesn't get in the way of the picture.

The lens hood designed for the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM kit lens is the Canon EW-63C Lens Hood. Prices range from $23 for the genuine Canon hood, to $5.50 for a cheap 3rd party EW-63C compatible lens hood. 

Announcements