cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

teleconverter 1.4x iii autofocus problem

jsfarnsw
Contributor

my 100-400 ii won't autofocus with a 1.4x iii on an EOS 70D.  When I install the teleconverter, the camera automatically switches from AF Servo to M Focus.  

Solutions?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@jsfarnsw wrote:

Thanks everyone.  I did not realize the AF systems required that much light to work properly. 

AF needs adequate light to work reasonably fast and reliably.

Do an internet search about teleconverters and taping up some of the contacts. This "fools" the camera into not realizing the converter is there, so that it will still try to AF the lens. Just don't expect focus to perform very well. It will be slower and in lower light situations or with low contrast subjects it may hunt a lot and even fail to achieve focus. There's a reason Canon sets a limit and turns it off, when a lens/teleconverter combo exceeds the rated AF capabilities.

You'll have to find a website where someone illustrates which pins to tape up. I haven't done the tape trick myself... I simpy don't bother with TCs on lenses where it would exceed the light levels, or in a few cases I just manually focus (500/4 with a 2X on it, for example).

7D Mark II (not the original one), 5D Mark III (not the II or original), all 1-series (film and digital) and the EOS-3 film cameras are "f8 capable", meaning that they can still AF (mostly with one center AF point only... 5DIII can use a small group of points in the center I believe) when a lens + TC makes for an f8 or larger aperture. All other Canon cameras, including 70D are "f5.6 capable".

The 100-400mm is f4.5-5.6 already... so adding even a weaker 1.4X, makes for an f6.3-f8 combo that exceeds your camera's design capabilities. But some folks manage to make it work to a limited extent with a few small, carefully placed pieces of Scotch tape!

Note: There are a few third party lenses that are f6.3 even without any TC, yet still AF... probably by similarly "fooling" the camera.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

View solution in original post

What a surprise to get notifications that someone was resurrecting this zombie thread!

The fix for me was to sell my EOS 70D and purchased an 80D, which will autofocus at f/8.  I have since added a 90D to my kit and I've replaced the EF 100-400mm with a 400mm f/4 DO. The only thing I kept from those days was the 1.4x teleconverter. Amazing how equipment upgrades can solve an autofocus problem. 

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I am pretty sure the problem is related to the fact that when you add the 1.4 teleconverter to the f/4.5 lens the max aperture becomes smaller than f/5.6.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

that doesn't make sense, because this converter and lens are supposed to work together with AI.  

They will on a 1D series camera, and I believe in LiveView. But for through the lens AF the non-pro cameras have an f/5.6 limit.

See this article: http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/16399/what-apertures-are-required-to-enable-autofocus-inclu...
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jsfarnsw wrote:

my 100-400 ii won't autofocus with a 1.4x iii on an EOS 70D.  When I install the teleconverter, the camera automatically switches from AF Servo to M Focus.  

Solutions?

None, I think. A 70D won't autofocus at an aperture smaller than f/5.6. (A few cameras will autofocus at f/8, but the 70D is not one of them.) The teleconverter cuts the maximum aperture of your f/4.5 lens to (if my math is correct) f/6.3.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks everyone.  I did not realize the AF systems required that much light to work properly. 

You can alway manual focus it.

Some cameras can have one or some of their contact pins disabled and the camera will AF (put tape over them).  I don't know if this is true on a 70D.  And I don't recommend doing it but you may search and find out for sure.

If it does work it will be very slow and not really all that accurate.  Just MF it, like the good ole days!  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Okay, I've tried the tape trick.  True, it's slower and less sharp than the normal AF without the TC.  However, it gets you close enough to manual focus from there quickly.  This probably means fewer missed shots when photographing wildlife. 

I'm not convinced that there's a technological reason that the 70D can't AF down to F8.  The sensor may actually be better equipped to handle this than other "pro" cameras.  Is Canon trying to sell "pro" camera bodies by intentionally disabling more capable "amateur" bodies?

Time for a firmware update.  Shame on Canon that we have to use scotch tape to do wat they are too timid to do in firmware. 

"Shame on Canon that we have to use scotch tape to do wat they are too timid to do in firmware."

How can you say that when you said ...Smiley Frustrated

"... it's slower and less sharp than the normal AF without the TC."

Do you really think Canon would advertize, "Our cameras focus slower but get you close to AF so you can finish in MF!"

"Plus it's almost sharp!"

You did get what you bought.  The tape is a trick to fool the camera to work under conditions it was not designed to.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@jsfarnsw wrote:

Okay, I've tried the tape trick.  True, it's slower and less sharp than the normal AF without the TC.  However, it gets you close enough to manual focus from there quickly.  This probably means fewer missed shots when photographing wildlife. 

I'm not convinced that there's a technological reason that the 70D can't AF down to F8.  The sensor may actually be better equipped to handle this than other "pro" cameras.  Is Canon trying to sell "pro" camera bodies by intentionally disabling more capable "amateur" bodies?

Time for a firmware update.  Shame on Canon that we have to use scotch tape to do wat they are too timid to do in firmware. 

Your speculation about the sensor's capability, even if true, is of doubtful relevance. Except in live view, the sensor is not involved in autofocus, because a) the shutter is closed and b) the mirror is in the way. What's most likely is that Canon's top-of-the-line cameras have a special high-gain autofocus sensor that replaces the less capable (and less expensive) AF sensor found in their lesser cameras. In the case of the 70D, it's hard to see what difference a firmware update would make.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements