cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

some times getting a black screen with EF-M 11-22mm lens

mangurian
Enthusiast

Happens not all the time, but often. 

Is it true that repairs from Canon start at $300 ?    Not worth sending it off I guess.

Anyone have a bright idea of something I might try myself ?

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mangurian wrote:

Happens not all the time, but often. 

Is it true that repairs from Canon start at $300 ?    Not worth sending it off I guess.

Anyone have a bright idea of something I might try myself ?

Electronics generally do not fail every so often, and then work every so often.  That is a symptom of a mechanical failure.  Digital electronics are pass/fail, go or no go.  When it fails, it is dead and done.  There is no Night King to wake it up.

I suggest that you begin taking note of the exposure settings when you get the good and bad images.  I used to get the occasional under/over exposed image, too.  I never really figured out why it was happening.  

But, I began to pay attention to my fingertips as I held the camera.  I suspect I may have been locking exposure as I walked around between shots because my fingers when pressing buttons as I carried the camera, or as it bumped off my body.  I bought a holster to carry the camera, and paid attention to my fingers.  

Suddenly, the problem went away.  Of course, I still get the outlier bad exposure, but I know it was me, user error.  I know it was me only because I conditioned myself to pay much closer attention to what I was doing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is it true that repairs from Canon start at $300 ?"

Where did you get that figure?

"Happens not all the time, but often."

It is utter nonsense to think electronics can't be working and suddenly non-working and than back to working. Not saying that is your case but it is possible. A more likely answer is user error.  Something you are doing either consciously or unconsciously.

I would call Canon and ask them 1 (800) 652-2666  They are nice folks, almost as nice as us! Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements