cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

solar eclipse

MichaelLichtman
Apprentice

going to be directly in the path of the total solar eclipse in Aug.  shooting with a 500f4 lens.  will Baader film taped to the hood, be strong enough to shoot partial> full eclipse without harming the lens?

28 REPLIES 28

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I don't know what Baader film is, but I had good luck with these:

http://thousandoaksoptical.com/solar.html

If you are lucky, you might not need a filter:

182.JPG

did you tape this on?

The thousand oaks filter comes with a metal ring that I slipped over the lens hood of my 150-600 and secured with tape.

For $3 or $4 bucks you can buy welding glass.  You need to shoot RAW because the welding glass has a green tint which must be corrected in post.  Easy to do.

You will probably need to tract the Sun, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If you need to track, you have too much filter. Both my filtered and unfiltered exposures were reasonable. You do need a tripod, though.

@kvbarkley wrote:

If you need to track, you have too much filter. Both my filtered and unfiltered exposures were reasonable. You do need a tripod, though.

My favorite NYC online superstore has a small selection of "solar eclipse" [5.0 ND] filters, including "clear" filters. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@kvbarkley wrote:

And you probably wouldn't want to track. You're not photographing some distant galaxy. Eclipses happen fast, and a tracked image would be blurry and confusing. Maybe OK as a work of art, but not as an accurate record of a once in a lifetime astronomical event.

I hope you'll be luckier than I was. I was literally at the best possible location to view the total solar eclipse of 1964. The American Astronomical Society was there too - invited by my uncle, who was head of the Astronomy Department at the University of Maine. Clouds obliterated the entire event.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

thank you for that great info

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@MichaelLichtman wrote:

going to be directly in the path of the total solar eclipse in Aug.  shooting with a 500f4 lens.  will Baader film taped to the hood, be strong enough to shoot partial> full eclipse without harming the lens?

Do a web search for "solar photography filters".  They sell threaded filters that screw on your lenses in many standard sizes.  An 5.0 ND filter is what I have found.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements