cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

regarding softness at 400 mm of canon ef 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 l is

shaileshplm
Apprentice

I have canon ef 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 l is lens, since 2014 and usages of this is limited for cricket and wildlife. this lens having softness at 400mm! how can be fix, pls advice. Using this lens with canon eos 7d and 50d.

11 REPLIES 11

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It is the sharpest lens at 400mm to begin with.  That may be all it can do.  But if it is not the lens, it can be how you use it.  First, I would check your technique and make sure the softness isn't being caused by you.  400mm on a 7D is some serious focal length.  So any movement or vibration from you will show up as softness,  Too, slow of a SS and too low a ISO for the conditions.

Set it on a tripod on a bight day.  Try it with the SS above 1/500 and see if that is better.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

thanks for the same,

since using this lens for cricket and wildlife, I used all the option, ie tripod, ss above 500 in day light. But nothing can be there fine at 400mm!

@shaileshplm wrote:

thanks for the same,

since using this lens for cricket and wildlife, I used all the option, ie tripod, ss above 500 in day light. But nothing can be there fine at 400mm!

I think you need a much higher shutter speed than that at super telephoto focal lengths, at least 1/800, or even 1/1600.  

You are using crop body cameras, which means any softness the lens may have towards the corners is being discarded.  Are you using version 1 or version 2 of the 100-400mm lens?

I suggest re-evaluating what YOU are doing, just as critically as you are evaluating your lens.  Have you used another super telephoto lens, for comparison?  The AI SERVO focus mode does not always yield the sharpest pictures, I have found.  The Image Stabilization and Fccus Range settings can just as easily help, as they can work against you when improperly set for the shooting conditions.  Question everything that you are doing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@shaileshplm wrote:

I have canon ef 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 l is lens, since 2014 and usages of this is limited for cricket and wildlife. this lens having softness at 400mm! how can be fix, pls advice. Using this lens with canon eos 7d and 50d.

I think EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS II USM is a better lens at 400mm than the 150-600mm lenses out there. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

this time nothing can be done, as I've 100-400mm. trying to fix it at canon service centre, but still softness issue is there !

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@shaileshplm wrote:

Your post makes it sound like this is a more recent experience not something that has occurred since you got the lens 2 years ago.

Both the 50D and 7D allow you to micro focus adjust the lens to achieve the maximum sharpness available from the lens, I would start there. 

The newer EF 100-400 L IS II is sharper, than the original which I believe you have. But, if you were happy with the lens before, it probably needs micro focus adjustment, or maybe a trip to Canon for cleaning. 

Thanks for the reply and your suggestion.

Lens was sent in canon service centre, India, for checkup and they do what they can do, but never fix the problem of sharpnes at 400mm!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... lens having softness at 400mm! how can be fix ..."

You can try making use of the various sliders in LR or PS.   Like many others do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Can you post some images that you consider soft so we can see what you are concerned about?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements