cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re lens for canon eos 6d

colin1325
Contributor

hello im thinking of buying a canon eos 6d

i want a wide angle lens say f1.8  that i can shoot the milky way and constelations and just star shots etc  any ideas on a lens for me please is there a lens that would do a multitude of jobs for me   colin

19 REPLIES 19

Skirball
Authority

Wide angle?  There are several choices for 24mm wide angle up to 1.4.  I believe Sigma has a 20mm 1.8, but I don't know anything about that.  Wider than that you're looking at 2.8.  The 14mm 2.8 by Rokinon/Samyang is finicky, full manual, and has a wicked mustache distortion, but for $300 it's a popular full frame ultrawide. 

i wanted to keep away from fisheye lens so may have a look for sigma

None of those listed above are fish eye.

thnx i found this one on ebay from a camera shop    Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC Lens - CANON EF Fit

I just bought that lens (Samyang 14mm F2.8). It's great. Manual focus isn't a problem. The distortion is not a big deal for landscapes or astrophotography, and it is fixable via Lightroom lens profile.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

@colin1325 wrote:

thnx i found this one on ebay from a camera shop    Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC Lens - CANON EF Fit

How much is it on eBay?  I got one about a year ago on Amazon for $300.  If it's not significantly cheaper than that just go for Amazon.  Just make sure it's the latest (has a red stripe, like the...  heh...  Canon L series lenses).

As HSBN said, it's a fun little lens and the distortion isn't a big deal if you're not shooting buildings and the like.  It's remarkably sharp for a $300 lens.

I got mine $299 on B&H photo. 🙂 will use it for shooting autumn soon.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Yeah, I meant to say...  buy it from a reputable dealer, like Amazon or B&H, over a place like eBay.  Now that B&H finally got competitive with their shipping turn around I've been using them a lot more.

@Skirball wrote:

Yeah, I meant to say...  buy it from a reputable dealer, like Amazon or B&H, over a place like eBay.  Now that B&H finally got competitive with their shipping turn around I've been using them a lot more.

This is a tad OT, but what was your previous experience with B&H and what did they change? Over the ten or so years I've been dealing with them, I've found them to be reliably faster than finding time to drive to the nearest mall. I don't doubt that my location has something to do with that; the shipping services between New York and the Boston suburbs do a remarkably good job. The biggest problem I've had is not being home (or not noticing) when they came around, and having to drive to the absurdly remote locations where they load and unload their trucks.  Smiley Frustrated

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements