cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

purchase a lens

Elle2340
Apprentice

I purchased a 70d (formerly had a t3i) and would now like to get a better lens than the kit lens.  I photograph families, beach scenes.  I'm lost -- there are so many choices....could someone offer a suggestion for a beginner to intermediate user.  Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The 24-105L lens would be a good all around lens for your uses.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

ScottyP
Authority

Good option. Don't buy one of these full price though.  Shop around for deals. The 24-105 is a kit lens for full frame cameras and lots of people split up the kits and sell on the lens. Should be able to find one much less than the $999.00 list price.  I can find them all day long for $619.00 right now. 

Be be sure to get the "L" lens with the f/4 aperture, not the non-L cheaper variable aperture lens. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The 24-105L lens would be a good all around lens for your uses.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

AGREE with the above.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ScottyP
Authority

Good option. Don't buy one of these full price though.  Shop around for deals. The 24-105 is a kit lens for full frame cameras and lots of people split up the kits and sell on the lens. Should be able to find one much less than the $999.00 list price.  I can find them all day long for $619.00 right now. 

Be be sure to get the "L" lens with the f/4 aperture, not the non-L cheaper variable aperture lens. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

thanks for the info....

and especially for the "shopping" advice...much appreciated

The 24-105L is indeed an excellent lens. (I have one, as do many of the regulars in this forum.) But it was designed for full-frame cameras and should be regarded as a zoom telephoto on a 70D. If that's not what you want and you're not planning to get a full-frame camera in the foreseeable future, I'd recommend the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS instead. It covers a more "normal" zoom range on a 70D and is one stop faster.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

" I'd recommend the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS instead."

This is the best advice for you. Look at the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  It will be far more flexible than the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens on a 70D.  It sits right in the sweet spot of a 70D and is a f2.8.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

" I'd recommend the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS instead."

That is an EF-S lens.  If you wanted to stick with EF lenses, then you might consider the EF 17-40mm f/4L.USM.  It lacks Image Stabilization, though.  However, you may not need IS for many of your shooting scenarios.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements