cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pentax lens on eos body

FrankGolesic
Apprentice

is there an adapter that can run the autofocus on the canon ? Have a fotodiox adapter , but totally manusl .

16 REPLIES 16

"Your post reminds of the people who claim to have never had any problems using micro-SD memory cards."

It is always the best thing since sliced bread until it ain't.

"The YN600EX-RT II is 99% as good as the "original" Canon,..."

And for a person that is just a hobbyists you are probably right. Miss a shot, so what? Shoot it over! Or, just move on, no biggie.  But for a pro photographer that has to have it work 100% of the time, the story changes.

There is a reason they look like a real Canon flash.  They try their best to copy what Canon engineers have done. Sometimes they get pretty close as you mentioned. There is also a reason they cost way less, too. They don't have to engineer and or design and they don't have to use the best materials. Just get it compatible and working at 80% or 90% and it is just fine.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 I'The original question was about using a Pentax flash on a Canon body... Does it look like what a "pro" would do on a paid job? There is no point recommending a $500 flash to someone who just cares about repurposing some old flashes.

For anyone claiming to be a "pro" - the Canon 600EX-RT II is not a "pro" choice, not even close. It's a slow AA powered dinosaur. How many shots you'd miss while it's taking 5s to recycle between FP shots? The EL-1 - maybe, if you're shooting events and ~70 w/s without a modifer is all you need. For anyone who more or less serious about lighting - Profoto is an obvious choice. Need more than 70w/s? A B2 on a Boomerang would give you 250 w/s on cam. You can even outfit it with a 2' OCF octa. No budget for Profoto - Godox. Canon? Nope. It's not even a lighting brand...

@Waddizzle what's wrong with microSD? No need to take my word on the YN600EX-RT II. Look at the reviews @ B&H or Amazon. For the price you won't find anything better.

Nothing is wrong with microSD, per se. What is wrong is that using it in a camera with a full-size adapter tends to fail at the worst time.

If the search worked better, you could search these forums and find the hundreds of times folks had issues, swapped the microSD+Adapter for a full size card and the issues went away.

"For anyone claiming to be a "pro" - the Canon 600EX-RT II is not a "pro" choice, not even close. It's a slow AA powered dinosaur. How many shots you'd miss while it's taking 5s to recycle between FP shots?"

Far from an accurate statement about the Canon 600EX.

The recharge on the Canon 600EX actually varies from 0.1 to 5.5 seconds.  The recharge time on the Yongnuo 600EX is fixed at 3 seconds, which I assume would include its low power mode.  BTW, both models use AA batteries.

In addition, the Yongnuo is an older design, which seems to have problems with the more recent camera releases.  I have yet to hear someone mention that they updated the strobe via USB.  I have yet to hear someone say they sent it to the factory, and had a firmware update performed so that it can HSS with the most recent models.

The Canon is also weather resistant, which the Yongnuo is not.  This last is huge.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@docusync wrote:

@Waddizzle what's wrong with microSD? No need to take my word on the YN600EX-RT II. Look at the reviews @ B&H or Amazon. For the price you won't find anything better.

As noted above, the plastic adapters cause them to become very unreliable.  Speak of the devil.  Here is a recent post!

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Photos-not-saved-250d/m-p/346200#M12572 

Another forum member with a camera doing strange things, who is also using a micro-SD card with an adapter.  I am 99.99% certain that switching to a full size SD card will eventually prove to be the cure.

Every Canon DSLR User Guide contains a page where Canon recommends what type of memory cards to use.  In recent years they recommend one of three types of SD cards: SD, , SDHC, and SDXC.  A micro-SD card is a different type of card, and it is not listed.

My advice is this.  If you are currently using them in a Canon DSLR, then you would be wise to stop immediately.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"The original question was about using a Pentax flash on a Canon body."

I thought it was about a Pentax lens?  Well, whatever, however the flow of a thread goes is fine with me.

A person that sells his work or makes a living from it has a different look on things. None of us is going to be using a flash that has to dump its entire charge on every shot.  Not if they hope to sell the photo, that is.  You know what they look like?

You can get uncle Bob who lives down the street that just bought a new Rebel to do that. Probably for free, too!

Most of the time a top of the camera flash unit is in a fill role capacity. I have six Canon top of the line flashes and never missed a shot because of one of them. Never, not once.

You want to bu a YN600EX-RT II or use a micro-SD card I am sure you have all our permissions to do so.  You will not likely, however, change our minds as to how poorly these work.

"Look at the reviews @ B&H or Amazon."

IMHO, Amazon is the last place I would go to read any reviews on photographic gear. Also, it is nearly the last place I would go to buy any photographic gear! For beginners and hobbyists, fine, I guess.

EB

Remember I did agree with you on this. Smiley Happy

"The YN600EX-RT II is 99% (almost) as good as the "original" Canon,..."

And, for a person that is just a hobbyists you are probably right. 

I doubt you can get the several "regulars" here, that have different opinions on lots of stuff, lord knows, to change their minds on about micro-SD and Yongnuo flashes.

EB
Announcements