cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

our all uv haze filter the same?

Paddy7466
Contributor

Our all ultra - voliet (uv) filters the same?

8 REPLIES 8

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority
No, they are not all the same.

I assume you want to buy a UV filter for "protection". You can also buy a clear "Protection" filter to protect the front of your lens.

For many people a lens hood provides better protection without any chance of degrading the image.

Cheaper filters will have little or no "Multi-Coating" to reduce flare and ghosting. Generally more expensive filters have better coatings and better Image Quality.

Here is a good website that compared many different brands of UV filters: http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html

Mike Sowsun

amfoto1
Authority

Also, assuming you are shooting with a digital camera... it's already got a built in UV filter.

UV filters date back to the days of film. A lot of film types were overly sensitive to UV, so a filter was needed more often. But it serves no purpose on a digital camera.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I just posted this the other day.  See:  http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/good-times-with-bad-filters

As Mike says... no they are not all the same.

Most of the time I do not use a filter on the lens.  If you use a high quality filter, then the degradation in optical quality of your images will be very tiny.  But if you use a poor filter it may create more problems than it solves.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I only recommend you buy and use a filter made by the lens maker. I.E. a Canon filter on a Canon lens, a Sigma filter on a Sigma lens.

There is really no need for colored or color correcting filters anymore.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Canon filters are not really top end filters. They are on par with Tiffen, Sigma, and Vivitar filters, not the worst filters out there, but definitely not top end.

If you want excellent filters try, B+W MRC-nano (my favorite - I like the brass threaded rings), Hoya Pro-1, or Hellopan. Get multi-coated versions.

You really only might want a filter for protection - with digital sensors there is really no advantage to a UV filter (but doesn't hurt either). Or, a polarizing filter. It is difficult to get the effect of a polarizing filter in post production. Again, B+H makes excellent polarizer filters. Only get circular polarizing filters, otherwise you may get false light meter readings and you auto focus my not work as well.

The bottom line - most people probably don't really need a filter to protect you lens. A lens hood is always a good idea and provides a lot of protection. If you are going to use a filter, make sure it is a good one.

"Canon filters are not really top end filters."

Do you honestly think Canon would produce some of the highest quality lenses in the world and produce less than excellent filters? Just curious.

EB

"Do you honestly think Canon would produce some of the highest quality lenses in the world and produce less than excellent filters?"

Actually I doubt Canon produces any filters themselves. They probably buy them from Tiffen or Kenko or someone else. That's fairly common practice among camera manufacturers.

I have several Canon filters and they're okay, decent glass and no unwanted tints, but definitely not multi-coated. They might be single coated or not coated at all. And it turned out the Canon's were more expensive than some of the alternatives that are equally or better coated, or offer other improvements. Plus most camera manufacturers only offer one grade of filter, while filter manufacturers offer several, at various levels of quality and different price points. 

For example, compare C-Pols in a common size from a few manufacturers (all prices from B&H Photo, NY):

Canon 77mm Circular Polarizer (single coated or uncoated).................................................. $184

B+W 77mm Kaesemann C-Pol XS-Pro MRC Nano (sealed & super multi-coated)............ $149

B+W 77mm Kaesemann C-Pol MRC (sealed & multi-coated)..................................................$116

B+W 77mm C-Pol MRC (multi-coasted).........................................................................................$108

B+W 77mm C-Pol SC (single coated... probably the most similar to the Canon C-Pol)........$87

Hoya 77mm C-Pol HD2 (super mutli-coated, double warranty).................................................$200

Hoya 77mm C-Pol HD (super multi-coated)..................................................................................$127

Hoya 77mm C-Pol HMC (multi-coated)...........................................................................................$115

Hoya 77mm C-Pol EVO (multi-coated)..............................................................................................$87

Hoya 77mm C-Pol NXT (uncoated)....................................................................................................$84

Hoya 77mm C-Pol Alpha (uncoated)..................................................................................................$61

The B+W "Nano" and the Hoya "HD" have the latest and greatest multi-coatings, which make them easier to clean and more scratch resistant. Purportedly the Hoya HD are made with a harder, more breakage resistant glass, too. The B+W Kaesemann use an improved grid and are edge-sealed against moisture intrusion. The better B+W also use brass frames that help prevent galling and binding in metal threaded lens barrels (most Canon lenses now use plastic filter threads, making this feature somewhat moot since they resist galling too). The mounting frames of the B+W standard filters also tend to be thinner, sometimes making it less necessary to get a more expensive "slim" filter to prevent vignetting issues on certain lenses.   

A Canon filter is okay an no doubt will work pretty well, but you can save a lot of money for the same quality or get a lot more filter that will work even better for less money by shopping around. (Sorry, Canon!)

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

"I doubt Canon produces any filters."

And you would likely be wrong. I have heard this rumor since the very early eighties. Who knows who starts this stuff and who propagates it.

I have met with Canon factory reps on many occasions over the years, the top notch guys that service large companies, with large amounts of money at stake. So we will have to pleasantly disagree on this topic.

"... but definitely not multi-coated."

Maybe maybe not, however, ...

Coated filters do cut down lens flare. This can be better done just by using a lens hood.  Properly coated lenses minimize or eliminate lens flare with or without coated filters. Uncoated filters are easier to clean and pass slightly more light. Not saying one is better than the other, just saying.

You are free to buy whatever you deem bestThat is one great thing about photographyall the selectionNot saying a word about anything being wrong with B+W filtersthey are top drawer and if it does it for you........................:smileyhappy:

EB
Announcements