cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my 15-55 mm lens

jackierh
Apprentice

my 15-55 mm lens is hard to turn to adjust it also the auto focus isn't working  any suggestions.  Should I try to get it fixed or would it be best to just get another lense.  I saw some used ones that seem pretty reasonable

7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority

Could this be an 18-55 lens?

What camera body do you have?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

yes, sorry.  18-55  it's a Rebel 5T.  

ScottyP
Authority

It would make no economic sense to repair a kit lens like the 18-55.  Are you sure the lens is bad and not the camera?  I'd try another lens to be sure. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I already tried another lense.  It works fine.  

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try this:

1. Take the lens off of your camera.
  2. Put the lens in MF mode.
  3. Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
  4. Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
  5. Put the lens back on the camera.
  6. Put the lens in AF mode.
  7. Turn the camera on.
  8. Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.
  9. Take a test photo.
  10. Works?
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

well, this worked.  the ring that changes the mm isn't changing easily, I have found that if I turn the focus ring, it will then let me adjust it.  Otherwise it stops.   but the auto focus is working again.  Thanks for your help.  

Do not turn the focus ring when the AF/MF switch is set to AF.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements