cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mold or mildew in lens

mitchmcc
Enthusiast

I own a Canon 400mm fixed lens, which has developed some mold or mildew.   It is not obvious when looking

at images (perhaps it would be if magnified sufficiently), but it is bothersome.   Is there any way to fix or clean

this without sending it back to Canon?   And for that matter, would/could Canon fix/repair/refurbish a lens this way?
If so, does anyone know how much it would cost?

Thanks,

Mitch

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Mitch,

We cannot guess or estimate the cost of a repair we can't see.  Once mold or fungus attacks the lens, it's probably only a matter of time before picture quality is affected.  Starts on the surface, but eventually attacks the coating.  If you like the lens and it has considerable life left, send it to Canon or take it to a local authorized service center.  Canon can advise you on that.

I lost a lens to fungus when I was a teenager.  Vivitar Series1 70-210 Macro focusing zoom.  (Was using on an AE-1 body)  Went to the beach, probably didn't clean it properly after and put it away.  Was bummed.  I was 15 yrs old.  It took alot of summer work to replace it.  It can't hurt for you to check on pricing.  Good luck.

PS:  Nice bird shots on your Flickr!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Mitch,

We cannot guess or estimate the cost of a repair we can't see.  Once mold or fungus attacks the lens, it's probably only a matter of time before picture quality is affected.  Starts on the surface, but eventually attacks the coating.  If you like the lens and it has considerable life left, send it to Canon or take it to a local authorized service center.  Canon can advise you on that.

I lost a lens to fungus when I was a teenager.  Vivitar Series1 70-210 Macro focusing zoom.  (Was using on an AE-1 body)  Went to the beach, probably didn't clean it properly after and put it away.  Was bummed.  I was 15 yrs old.  It took alot of summer work to replace it.  It can't hurt for you to check on pricing.  Good luck.

PS:  Nice bird shots on your Flickr!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks... I guess I will have to get it to a Canon service center, to see what the damage will be.

If you don't get after it quickly it isn't repairable.  Don't wait any longer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suggest having your camera body cleaned and sanitized, too.  

If the lens has visible mold and mildew, then any camera body that you mounted it on will be at a high risk to develop mold and mildew, too.  For that matter, all of your gear is now at a higher risk.  I would toss out all of my body caps and lens caps, and buy new ones after the gear is cleaned, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks...

,@Waddizzle wrote:

If the lens has visible mold and mildew, then any camera body that you mounted it on will be at a high risk to develop mold and mildew, too.  For that matter, all of your gear is now at a higher risk.  I would toss out all of my body caps and lens caps, and buy new ones after the gear is cleaned, too.

Really? I think that's an extreme reaction. There are surely ways to disinfect lens and body caps without throwing them out.

Also, mold is a serious problem when it's inside the lens, but not so much otherwise. Mold and mildew spores have lots of natural enemies (light and dry air, for example) in the outside world that they may not have to contend with in the interior of a lens.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Well of course that is nuts Robert. That is why I don't read that guy anymore. Cameras don't generally get infected because there is little inside a camera body that fungus spores feed upon thus allowing them to grow.  Lens fungus can't really spread at all.  It needs moisture, warmth and to be left alone to grow.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

“ ... Cameras don't generally get infected because there is little inside a camera body that fungus spores feed upon thus allowing them to grow. ...”

Cameras have just as much to feed on as a lens does.  Mold and mildew can grow on the sensor assemblies.

@RobertTheFat wrote:

,@Waddizzle wrote:

Really? I think that's an extreme reaction. There are surely ways to disinfect lens and body caps without throwing them out.

Also, mold is a serious problem when it's inside the lens, but not so much otherwise. Mold and mildew spores have lots of natural enemies (light and dry air, for example) in the outside world that they may not have to contend with in the interior of a lens.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  First of all, the caps are made of organic materials.  Second, they are dirt cheap.  Besides, i always have some spare caps laying around, anyway.  In fact, I always carry a spare set with me, just in case one gets dirty.  Don’t you? 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements