lorriej58
Apprentice

Will lenses from an AE1 fit my EOS Rebel XTi 400D

3 REPLIES 3

trulandphoto
Enthusiast

@lorriej58 wrote:

Will lenses from an AE1 fit my EOS Rebel XTi 400D

Not really. The AE1 has an FD mount not the EF mount used by Canon autofocus cameras. I think there adapters, though. Never wanted to go that route.

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The AE-1 lenses were not electronic... these lenses had a mechanical lever that engaged the camera body and this is how the camera knew what f-stop you dialed in on the aperture (f-stop) ring or whether you picked the A position.

On an EOS camera, there is no mechancial linkage.  It's all electronic.  So the lens really wont interface in any meaningful way.  There are adatpers that will make the lens fit, but the camera cannot automatically control the lens aperture and of course there is no autofocus (FD lenses are manually focused.)

Unless the FD series lens that you have is absolutely phenominal and very expensive, it's probably not worth attmepting to "adapt" the lens.  You are better off just using EOS lenses... your Rebel XTi can use either EF or EF-S lenses.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

amfoto1
Authority

I agree with the above.... In general, no. FD/FS mount vintage lenses are usually not worth adapting.

The lens to film plane/sensor "register" is 2mm less with the vintage lenses, than it is on EOS/EF lenses and cameras. Because of this, there is no room for an adapter without optical elements. Affordabler FD to EF adapters with optics exist, but give pretty dismal image quality. Those with good optics aren't sheap. And those without any optics will not allow the lens to focus to infinity.

Some exceptions are macro lenses, which just get slightly more macro, and some big telephotos that have enough extra play in their infinity focus that they still can cover it, even with a "glassless" adapter.

There are some third party vintage lenses designed with interchangeble lens mounts (Tamron had their Adaptall/Adaptall2, for example). And there are very many other vintage lenses in other mounts that can easily be adapted for use on modern Canon EOS/EF... literally millions of possibilities.  

For more info about adapting vintage lenses, see Bob Atkin's website.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Announcements