cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lenses for close ups

gazza3535
Contributor

Hi,

i have a EOS d300 and would like to take really close up photos of my aquaruim fish, need to get around a couple of inches away from the glass, could anyone advise me of what lense i would need to be able to do this

thank you

29 REPLIES 29

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You would likely want what is known as a "macro" lens. These are specially designed lenses that have very short, minimum focusing distances combined with high magnification factors at those distance.  You may also want to look into what is known as photo-stacking.

However, if you are shooting the fish through the tank's glass, then your images may be somewhat degraded by the tank's glass. Spending a lot of money for this scenario will quickly reach the point of diminishing returns.

A less expensive alternative to purchasing a macro lens are extension tubes.  They come in various sizes, designated in mm.   Different sizes are used with different focal length lenses.  You usually do not want use a focal length that is much more than double or triple the size of the extension tube. 

Extension tubes can also be stacked, which is useful for longer focal length lenses.  The tubes work by reducing the minimum focusing distance of the lens, by sacrificing the ability to focus at infinite distances.  Extension tubes come in two basic varieties.  Those that allow the use of auto focus, and those that do not.  Auto Focus is usually not very useful for macro photography because of the narrow depth of field that you can encounter.  This is where photo stacking comes into play.

Another less expensive alternative are close-up filters.  These are specially made filters that screw onto the front of your lens, and effectively serve the same role as an extension tube.  They both reduce the minimum focusing distance of your lens.  Close-up filters affect the image quality because they contain an optical element, unlike extension tubes that do not contain any optical elements. 

Close-up filters come in different magnifications; 1x, 2x, 4x ,10x..  Their use is independent of the focal length of the lens that you're using.  You can use most any filter on any length lens that fits the filter size in mm.  Close-up filters can also be stacked for higher magnification, at the sacrifice of depth of field.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you

Do you mean the Rebel 300D?

If so, the EF-S 60 mm Macro is a pretty good deal. It focuses to lifesize.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It really doesn't matter how far or close you are from the glass.  It depends on how close or far from the subject the lens is.  This may indicate you already have a lens that will work.  What lens do you have? The standard and very common "nifty-fifty" 50mm f1.8 could be all you need.  It is a very affordable lens with much more versatility than extension tubes, close-up filters or a true macro lens.

The standard 'kit' lens, ef-s 18-55mm, can get as close as approx. 10 inches.  As is true in most cases, a good post editor is going to be essential and likely of more value that the lens.

So how far away are the fish?  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It really doesn't matter how far or close you are from the glass.  ..

The farther you are from the glass, the more likely you are to see spurious reflections of objects outside the tank. At least that's my experience.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

"... a good post editor is going to be essential and likely of more value that than the lens."  Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

"... a good post editor is going to be essential and likely of more value that than the lens."  Smiley Happy

If you're suggesting that using a photo editor to try to get rid of unwanted reflections is preferable to avoiding them in the first place, then I heartily disagree.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

Not saying that at all. I am saying a good post editor can make a mediocre lens much better.  If you take your great lens and no post and I have a lesser lens and PS, I will take the latter every time.  However never underestimate Photshop, my friend.

EB

But as Syl Arena says, "I am a photographer, not a re-toucher!"

Announcements