cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lens same after repair

mattfisher5
Contributor

I recently purchased a refurbished rebel t5 with the 18-55mm kit lens, as well as the 55-250 IS and 10-18mm IS lens. Everything has been fine with all my equipment except for the 18-55mm lens. When turning the lens to zoom in or out, there was a notieable rubbing or grinding noise and there were a few sticking points where the lens wasnt turning smoothly. I took it into a Canon customer care center and they sent it out for repair. I got the lens back today and everything is exactly the same as when I sent it out. Same grinding noise, same sticking points. The service details I got bak say "Your product has been examinded and it was found that the part was out of position causing noise to occur. The part description says "Focusing ASSY part number YG2-2353-000".

I also have two older lenses that I got with the original Canon EOS rebel I have, an 18-55 and 75-300. So none of my 4 other lenses have this issue, but I'm not sure how much of an issue this really is. Could this potentially damage the lens over time? Or is this something I shouldn't really be worried about? It doesn't really effect my shooting, but I don't want to slowly be causing damage every time I zoom in or out. Since it was sent back to me like this after repair, should I just assume that it's not a big deal, since the repair center obiously didn't think it was if they sent it back like this?

Thanks for any feedback,

Matt 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Matt,

I don't have that particular lens but I have been involved with lots of folks that do. "It doesn't really effect my shooting, ...", does seem to be the way it is.  The lens can jump gears pretty easily. You can reset it by removing it and extending focus and zoom all the way, both ways.  You may hear some clicks.  Be gentle.  It really isn't a good candidate for repair if not under warranty.

Use it, It may last forever or may not. If not buy the newer upgraded version. The Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens or way, by far, the best choice Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Matt,

I don't have that particular lens but I have been involved with lots of folks that do. "It doesn't really effect my shooting, ...", does seem to be the way it is.  The lens can jump gears pretty easily. You can reset it by removing it and extending focus and zoom all the way, both ways.  You may hear some clicks.  Be gentle.  It really isn't a good candidate for repair if not under warranty.

Use it, It may last forever or may not. If not buy the newer upgraded version. The Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens or way, by far, the best choice Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements