cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

image stabilization 500mm f4 IS II

madencbm
Contributor

How do I tell if IS is working on my 500mm f4 IS II.  I cannot hear any sound from the lens when IS is turned on.  I have tried using live view while hand holding to see if image stabilizes shaking but nothing happens.

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13

diverhank
Authority

IS is only activated briefly just before the picture is taken - in another word when the shutter is half-depressed.  You should hear the whine even though for the 500 II, it would be pretty quiet for Mode 1 and 2.  I doubt if you will see a picture shift because it will be very subtle - the lens had this feature improved so you won't see it as much.

Not sure you will even hear Mode 3 which is supposed to activate only when the exposure is made (shutter fully depressed).

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thanks.  I finally put my ear right up to the lens and could just barely hear IS sound.

Actually with a 500 mm lens it is very obvious when IS is working, just focus on something, note the amount of shake in the image and then press the shutter half way, it should snap in and obviously stop shaking.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Actually with a 500 mm lens it is very obvious when IS is working, just focus on something, note the amount of shake in the image and then press the shutter half way, it should snap in and obviously stop shaking.

Which illustrates the advantage, in a DSLR at least, of in-lens over in-camera IS. With the latter, the correction would be applied at the sensir and would not affect the image presented in the viewfinder.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I can hear IS but there is definitely no 'snap in and stop shaking' effect.  There seems to be two camps with one saying I should see shaking stop and the other says it may not be noticable at all.  Maybe this was true for the 500mm version I and not lomger true for version II?  I need to clear this up so I can be sure IS is working. 

As stated above: Make sure you are in Mode 1. Mode 3 only works when you take the picture.

@madencbm wrote:

I can hear IS but there is definitely no 'snap in and stop shaking' effect.  There seems to be two camps with one saying I should see shaking stop and the other says it may not be noticable at all.  Maybe this was true for the 500mm version I and not lomger true for version II?  I need to clear this up so I can be sure IS is working. 

Try turning it off for a spell, and take some handheld pictures.  Then turn it back on, take some more similar pictures.  Compare. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@madencbm wrote:

You can never see shake and stop on Canon L lenses IS...if you can see it, something is wrong.  The most you will hear is the motor whining very gently.  I have a Tamron 150-600mm and the VC (their version of IS) when activated you will see big jump as kvbarkley described but I never see that in any of my Canon L lenses that have IS.  The Tamron VC is not in the same league as the Canon IS especially for moving objects. I turn off VC on that lens 99% of the time.

I know you want to find out if the IS on your lens is working or not...we all do for our lenses :).  Since the 500mm f/4L II is totally handholdable, I'd try taking pictures of something at low speed like 1/100 or 1/200 (or some lower speed depending on how good you are with not shaking)  with and without IS and compare the images.  You should see a big difference between the two.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

"You can never see shake and stop on Canon L lenses IS...if you can see it, something is wrong."

Absolutely correct.  The ef 500mm f4L is an amazing lens.  I would bet you the IS is working just fine.  Unless it is a used lens and was severely abused.  Which is hard to do I might add.

BTW, my Siggy 150-600mm pair and the Tamron 150-600mm don't jump any real noticeable amount either.  The Sigma S is also very quiet and very quick to AF.  Two of the three Sigma 150-500mm lenses I had jumped so bad it would jump a hummingbird clear out of the frame.  The third one, which I currently still have, is fine.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements