cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

image stabilization 500mm f4 IS II

madencbm
Contributor

How do I tell if IS is working on my 500mm f4 IS II.  I cannot hear any sound from the lens when IS is turned on.  I have tried using live view while hand holding to see if image stabilizes shaking but nothing happens.

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13

Maybe I am a nervous nellie, but with my EF 70-300 and Tamron 150-600 it is really obvious when the IS starts working when I press the shutter half way. There is no jump, but the image definitely stabilizes.

I can't speak for L lenses.

"I can't speak for L lenses.L 

I can.  La-La-Love it.  Smiley Very Happy 

The first thing I noticed about my EF 24-105 f/4L [EDIT:  my first "L"] was the lack of CA, like purple/green fringing, and most particularly when the lenses are slightly out of focus, as in "soft focus".  I have a Rokinon 85mm T1.5 Cine Lens that shows fringing when it is just slightly out of focus, which all but disappears when you nail the focus. 

My T5 kit lens, the EF 70-300mm, shows fringing at any focus.  In fact, it only gets worse when you soft focus. Fringing comes from different light frequencies being bent at different angles.  When the different frequencies are aligned, the image is focused.  Some lenses seemingly do not align the light frequencies when the lens is defocused slightly, as well as they would when the lens is focused.

But, my "L" lenses have never shown any sort of CA yet, not at any focus setting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Nice, but this has nothing to do with the OP.

@Waddizzle wrote:

"I can't speak for L lenses.L 

I can.  La-La-Love it.  Smiley Very Happy 

But, my "L" lenses have never shown any sort of CA yet, not at any focus setting.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"How do I tell if IS is working on my 500mm f4 IS II."

This is a lens I don't own and have only rented.  But each one was extremely quite and it is difficult to hear the IS. I never noticed any movement in the view finder either.  This is a wonderful lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements