cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help picking a lens for what i will use it for

Maria
Enthusiast

I'm an amature photographer. i have a T1i that needs to be replaced (likely with either the 70D or the 7D)... and with it I want a lens that will fit my needs... i've read and read about various lenses at different price points and all have their purposes but i can't seem to figure out which would be the best fit for my purpose.

Hoping i can get some advice/recommendations for a lens to use when photographing the following:

1) indoor with low light (and limited to only using a 430EX II flash on the camera, no reflectors, or other sources of light other than what ever is overhead - ie typical home lighting)

2) subject 75% of the time is a child that won't stay still :), the other 25% of the time it's friends and family at someones home or at a venue (again low light)

3) subject is usually 10-15 feet away from me and i want to be able to get a full shot (head to toe) and also zoom in to only get a head shot.

4) i love bokeh 😉

I want sharp images with saturated colors (when they exist in the picture 😉  ). The lens can't be too heavy (i tried holding a 17-55mm and was on the high end of what i can carry -probably don't want to go much more than that for weight).

Any and all suggestions welcome!

21 REPLIES 21

1) if choosing between the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II and the Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD which do you recommend?  When/where would you notice a difference in these?

2) would either of the above be a better choice over the Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6)?? not sure if this is made for a crop or full sensor?

3) and what about that unknown 17-135mm f/1.8??

I know i'm going all over the place and I applogize but this isn't easy ;(   I hope i'm not frustrating anyone ;(  just confused... and the more i look at this the more options i consider... which i know isnt' making it any easier but rather more confusing... sigh....

The canon 24-70 f2.8L II for sure is the better lens, but do you need the best lens or a lens to take pictures indoors of your daughter. I was trying to choose myself and I went for Tamron 24-70 f 2.8 it image stabilized the canon is not there both f2.8,

both sealed to keep dust and moisture out, If you put a filter on the front. The Tamron is $1000.00 dollars cheaper which gives you options if you want to purchase another lens.

"... do you need the best lens or a lens to take pictures indoors of your daughter."

All you need is a Rebel with the kit lens. Save yourself some money as the Rebel outfit will do 90% of what most people require. And do it very well I might add. Now how is that for un-confusing the situation?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements