cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extension tube question

DougFraser
Contributor

I need to know the inside diameter of the Canon 12mm extension tube

I want to use the extension tube between my 1.4X III teleconverter and my 100mm 2.8 L macro (which are otherwise non-compatible). I have read where people are using this combo successfully BUT the protruding portion of the converter will not fit inside my old set of Kenko extension tubes so I would like to know if it will fit with the Canon before buying the new extension tube.

I have the R5 and the focus stacking ability makes macro work even more fabulous so I want to take full advantage of the equipment I have.

34 REPLIES 34

@DougFraser wrote:

Question - do you do any "batch" processing of all the raw images BEFORE running the stacking program? I normally use LR to process all my raw files and then export as jpegs but here I have run DPP and LR/PS without doing any preliminary processing so I then did a few adjustments to the jpeg in LR after the fact.   

Those look very nice. Once you get used to the process and editing, it will only get better.

Yes, I edit the Raw files in DPP before stacking. I start by editing the first shot in the stack, then copy that recipe and pasting it to the others. Usually just some sharpening and saturation.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

thanks. I was certainly pleasantly surprised with the outcome considering I didn't do anything "extra".

When you edit them in DPP first, do you then save them as a set of jpegs before performing the stacking operation? or in some other format?

@DougFraser wrote:

thanks. I was certainly pleasantly surprised with the outcome considering I didn't do anything "extra".

When you edit them in DPP first, do you then save them as a set of jpegs before performing the stacking operation? or in some other format?

If I'm using the 5D4, I just edit the Raw and stack those, but my 7D2 and T7i Raw files aren't compatible, so I convert them to tiff after editing the Raw files. BTW, I have no valid reason for using different cameras and you would think I would use the 5D4 all the time, LOL.

Now my wife has the R6, so I'm thinking I will give that a go. So, how many shots did the R5 take to get the urchin, which is an outstanding shot, IMHO.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Doug, about middle of last year, I made a post on here about Depth Compositing and you might consider adding to that thread with your R5 images. Just a thought.

Newton

Thanks again for all your advice. I will certainly look for the DC thread! The urchin image was just 15 images. For the orchid I tried 25 and deleted the first and last so ended up stacking 23. 
I am going to get out a ruler and place it on a tabletop and then focus on one end and then take a large number of different focus bracketing sets with differing numbers of shots, focus increments, and f-stops with a few lens/extension tube combinations (it could get carried away lol) so I will have a better sense of what settings will produce a suitable stack over a particular distance range. Then I would know what setting to choose in the field in different situations. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements