cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error 01 problem

illestshots
Apprentice

I have a kit lens 18-55mm that is giving me a error 01, if anyone can help that would be awesome!

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Assuming you have a Rebel of some kind.  Always include all the info you can when asking a question.  But error 01 indicates a problem with the lens contacts.  Now the contacts can be on the lens or on the camera or even in the camera.

If on the lens, use denatured alcohol and a q-tip.  Do the same with the camera.  DO NOT use a pencil eraser like some may suggest.  They are idiots.  A very bad idea. 

Now if it is a contact inside the camera, send it to Canon.     It is one of these. Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

oops sorry new to this, but it is a canon EOS Rebel t3i 600D. I dont think its the body because i can use my 50mm on it and it works fine. 

I agree, it is that lens in that case.

EB

cale_kat
Mentor

@illestshots wrote:

I have a kit lens 18-55mm that is giving me a error 01, if anyone can help that would be awesome!

Sometimes you get the error 01 and other times the lens works fine?

If intermittent, then it isn't likely to be the contacts on the lens.

If I recall correctly, a camera will produce an error code if it senses that it isn't getting a correct signal. But what that doesn't tell you is what is causing that signal.

Trace the electrical contacts on the lens side and you have the electronics that inform the camera what lens is attached and then facilitate the photographer's task. Trace the electrical contacts of the body side and the electronics tell the lens how to behave when exposing for a particular group of settings and sensor readings. A miscommunication between lens and body can involve any of the thosands of lines software instructions. It is possible that a line of software has become "corrupted".

The recommendation to clean contacts is a great place to start. The contacts are accessible, durable, and the cleaning procedure is fairly straight forward. But Canon and other manufacturers are the experts, not the self-annointed experts of this forum, and they know that these contacts are prone to contamination. For this reason, they made the contacts "self-cleaning". It is possible that your contacts have a bad connection but it is also just the first place to check.

Illestshots, you ask "if anyone can help..." and you've received a suggestion to send your lens to Canon. That's one possible plan but you should know that Canon has a very extensive group of authorized Canon retailers that have physical locations across the country. If I were in your shoes, I'd take a trip to one of those authorized Canon retailers and show them what's happening.

Just my $.02.

cale_kat,

While we agree with the majority of what you've said, we do want to point out something: a Canon Authorized Dealer is NOT an Authorized Service Facility.

What we mean by this is if you were to take your camera to, let's say Wal-Mart (who is an Authorized Dealer), the people in the Electronics Department may or may not be knowledgable as to the ins-and-outs of how a Canon lens and body interact with one another. They may have been given some brief sales training, but it's unlikely that they've been given any tecnhical training.

While there may be some very knowledgable shops out there who will be able to help you with issues like this and give you pointers on how to become a better photographer, unfortunately, those places are very few and far between anymore.

In the end, it's your call how you  handle any issues you might run across, but we're happy to help, and there is no harm in giving us a call  or sending an email if you need to, and if we determine your lens or camera needs to be serviced, we can help you find the best place to send it!

We hope this helps to avoid any possible disappointment in the future!

Two cents ain't worth what it used to be. 

EB

Sage.

@Stephen wrote:

cale_kat,

We hope this helps to avoid any possible disappointment in the future!

Thank you for making clear what I inadvertently suggested. Of course, I plead innocent because in addition to frequenting the Canon Service Facility, I have always frequented camera stores that offer excellent service and advice.

Announcements