cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

err 99

kad
Apprentice

I have an 85mm f1.8 that causes my Rebel EOS Txi to give an error 99.  It will not take a picture, but will auto focus and I can change the f. stop.  I get about 10 shots before this error.  It suggests that I turn off and on the camera OR take out the battery and put it back in.  I have done both to no avail.

I think maybe I have a faulty lens on my hands and I should send it into Canon for repair.  Anyone have any thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It may just be dirty contacts on either the lens or the camera.  A little denatured alcohol on a q-tip will fix that.

Do other lens work OK?  Does that lens work on another camera? 

Error 99 is an undefined error.   The camera knows something is wromg but not exactly what it is.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the help.  This lens did the same thing on my daughter's Mark III, as well.  Other lenses on my Rebel Xti would fine.  I am cleaning the contacts, but if this does not help, could the lens be faulty?  Does the Canon repair folks need the lens and the camera to make it work properly?

"...  could the lens be faulty?

Yes.

"... Canon repair folks need the lens and the camera ..."

No, as you stated the camera works with other lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks so much for your help!  I am going to check with Canon about looking at it.

Announcements