cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

efs lens 18-135 won't focus at 18mm or 135mm

photobug49
Apprentice

My efs 18-135 when zooming out wide to 18mm or going to the other end135 stops autofocusing the green dot light circle does not come on,when you try turning the zoom it clicksand locks and you have to use a little force to make the lens move.there is no problen when I use manual focus The lens works intermittingly and its not the 60d camera that its on I use another efs canon lenes which works fine.

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Did you bump the lens? When it is fully zoomed out does the lens barrel look crooked compared to the non-zoomimg part?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

No the lens was not droped, or crookedbut  i do here something loose inside like a tiny screw or piece of plastic when you shake the lens up and down jently. it will work fine for awhile then act up when you try to zoom out all the way to 18 orgo in to135 then it locks up when you try to turn the barral it rachet clicks and doesnt want to turn, you have toforce it that when you here the clicking noises and it wont auto focus. Iswitch the af button to manual focas and iget the green dot that it is manually focased and I then can snap the picture it always works fine in manual, the problem is when its in af focus I can take 20 -30 pictures in af then it acts up then I have to go back to manual. Thanks

One other thing when the efs 18-135 is in autofocus is the focus ring supposed to turn smoothly  or I shouldnt be trying to do this this way because its tighter to turn and I here the racheting when I try to turn it when I switch the button to manual its smooth and no rachiting and it works

@photobug49 wrote:

One other thing when the efs 18-135 is in autofocus is the focus ring supposed to turn smoothly  or I shouldnt be trying to do this this way because its tighter to turn and I here the racheting when I try to turn it when I switch the button to manual its smooth and no rachiting and it works

If the lens does not allow manual focus override (see Waddizzle's last note), you may damage the lens by turning the focus ring with the lens in autofocus mode. With some of the 18-55 kit lenses there's a procedure that sometimes lets you manhandle the lens back into working order. Whether something similar would work on the 18-135, I don't know. I've never seen it recommended.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@photobug49 wrote:

My efs 18-135 when zooming out wide to 18mm or going to the other end135 stops autofocusing the green dot light circle does not come on,when you try turning the zoom it clicksand locks and you have to use a little force to make the lens move.there is no problen when I use manual focus The lens works intermittingly and its not the 60d camera that its on I use another efs canon lenes which works fine.

Exactly which EF-S 18-135mm are you using?  I'm not sure if they all allow manual focus override.  Make sure AI Servo is not engaged when you try manual focus override, too. 

I have used the STM version, and AF would sometimes get lost when I made large changes in focal length.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements