cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ef 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is usm is not capturing photos

lbazarnic
Contributor

I bought a used ef 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is usm and while it seems to otherwise work (IS, AF), it doesn't capture anything on the card... just black. I'm using it on an 80D. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to get my money back?

laurie

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Can you see through the lens when you look through the viewfinder?

I can see through the viewfinder and live view also shows everything. I get a nice focus, click, black. I switched lenses to make sure it wasn't my camera and those worked fine. The card is otherwise capturing the images (with the other lenses) so I know the camera and the card are ok. It's an EF mount, which works on the 80D.

@lbazarnic wrote:

I can see through the viewfinder and live view also shows everything. I get a nice focus, click, black. I switched lenses to make sure it wasn't my camera and those worked fine. The card is otherwise capturing the images (with the other lenses) so I know the camera and the card are ok. It's an EF mount, which works on the 80D.

Sounds like a probablle issue with the lens.

What shooting mode are you using?  Try this.  Set the camera to M, and dial in an exposure that is +3 Ev over a standard exposure.  Try to do the test outdoors on a sunny day.  While you're out there, switch the top dial to Green [A], and try to take a few photos.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

lbazarnic
Contributor
It magically started working.... seriously. Though I don't trust it. It also makes a high pitched noise, which I assume has something to do with the USM. Should I be hearing anything? Could this be related to my original problem? I told the seller I'm going to use it for the next two days to see if it consistently works. As far as shooting mode, I was using P and M and a bunch of different iso and shutter speed combos... maybe I woke it up.

@lbazarnic wrote:
It magically started working.... seriously. Though I don't trust it. It also makes a high pitched noise, which I assume has something to do with the USM. Should I be hearing anything? Could this be related to my original problem? I told the seller I'm going to use it for the next two days to see if it consistently works. As far as shooting mode, I was using P and M and a bunch of different iso and shutter speed combos... maybe I woke it up.

I don't understand your issue.  It is a used lens.  It does not work consistently.  Send it back for a full refund.

Yes, What ever the problem, it should be returned as faulty.   

It sounds like the aperture control is malfunctioning when the photo is being taken. If you want to do some trouble shooting to identify whats wrong.....

Set the camera to wide open aperture and look into the front of the lens to observe the aperture blades while the photo is being taken. It is probably stopping down when it shoudn't.  I can't think of any other reason for a dark photo.

Mike Sowsun

"It does not work consistently.  Send it back for a full refund."

This does seem to be the correct answer, however............

The seller may be somewhat put off if there isn't anything wrong with the lens.

I would do this simple test first.  Reset your camera back to factory. Menu, tools clear all settings and clear all custom settings. Now set the camera to P mode. Fix ISO to 200, AWB and One shot.  Do not use Ai-servo or any other AF mode. Set the lens switch to AF, IS is on. Now try some general shots outside preferably on a nice sunny day. If the pictures come out there probably isn't any lens multifunction.  Doing this test I would mount and dismount the lens several times.

In order for the lens to make a totally black picture seems impossible to me or at least extremely unlikely. For instance the aperture would have to close completely and I don't think that is possible. I suppose there could be some communication error from the lens to the camera but I have no idea what that could be either to make a completely black photo. Perhaps it is/was a combination error with both the camera and lens. That is why you need to do the test and follow it exactly especially the reset.

Anything that has an inconsistent fault is difficult to diagnose. Do the test and if it works, it probaly works and is OK.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I could imagine that an image shot at 1/60 at f/22 in a dark room would be pretty black.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"It does not work consistently.  Send it back for a full refund."

This does seem to be the correct answer, however............

The seller may be somewhat put off if there isn't anything wrong with the lens.

I would do this simple test first.  Reset your camera back to factory. Menu, tools clear all settings and clear all custom settings. Now set the camera to P mode. Fix ISO to 200, AWB and One shot.  Do not use Ai-servo or any other AF mode. Set the lens switch to AF, IS is on. Now try some general shots outside preferably on a nice sunny day. If the pictures come out there probably isn't any lens multifunction.  Doing this test I would mount and dismount the lens several times.

In order for the lens to make a totally black picture seems impossible to me or at least extremely unlikely. For instance the aperture would have to close completely and I don't think that is possible. I suppose there could be some communication error from the lens to the camera but I have no idea what that could be either to make a completely black photo. Perhaps it is/was a combination error with both the camera and lens. That is why you need to do the test and follow it exactly especially the reset.

Anything that has an inconsistent fault is difficult to diagnose. Do the test and if it works, it probaly works and is OK.

"I switched lenses to make sure it wasn't my camera and those worked fine. The card is otherwise capturing the images (with the other lenses) so I know the camera and the card are ok. It's an EF mount, which works on the 80D."

It is a used lens.  Personally, I would not bother with testing the lens  He said he had two days to test it.  Time is up.  This lens does not work, while other lenses do.  Send it back for a refund.

Announcements