cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon EF-S 18-55 random auto focus problem

Terryrebelt2i
Apprentice

Hello

I have been working with Canon EF-S 18-55 NON IS lenes and have found a problem I can't seen to solve. The problem is that I do get auto focus but at certain points it will not focus. I have changed the board with a known good one, The motor assembly, The contacts with good looking ones from working units but not the contact strip as they look good.

The assembly moves freely with little resistance. I have also seen this problem on IS versions too but mainly on the non IS versions.

I'm looking for any other suggestion that might solve the problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Terryrebelt2i
Apprentice

Well I finaly figured out what the problem was and fixed 3 lenes.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

True I have no first hand knowledge with the EF-S 18-55 but I will guess it is nearly a throw away lens.  At $200 bucks for a new version II, I mean.  Yes, no?

I have no first-hand knowledge of that lens either, and have no reason to doubt your assessment (though I have heard that some of the more recent versions are much better than the original). But this thread was recently re-opened on a discussion of a similar problem with an entirely different lens: the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, which both you and I have owned and liked. It was in that context that I said what I did.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

No, but the confusion is my fault.  I have the EF-S 15-55mm F/2.8 IS USM..I didn't mean to confuse the topic but this was the only thread that I found that had any discussion on this problem. I apologize.

@kathiemo wrote:

No, but the confusion is my fault.  I have the EF-S 15-55mm F/2.8 IS USM..I didn't mean to confuse the topic but this was the only thread that I found that had any discussion on this problem. I apologize.

OK, now I'm confused. Assuming that Kathie's last post (the one to which I'm responding) doesn't contain a typo, that's a lens that I've never heard of. And I don't find it on the Canon site. I had understood her to say that her lens was a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. Ernie once owned that lens, and my wife and I still do. (I used mine at a photo shoot as recently as March 1. Actually, come to think of it, I didn't. I was using my 24-105 and my 16-35 f/4. Maybe we all need more sleep.)

Bob

lol.. your right more sleep.. 17 not 15. 

OK I am thinking you have the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  It is worth inquiring about a repair.  Call Canon Support today.

Let me say one thing, you didn't get it wet did you?  Water and lenses don't do well together.  You can expect the repair to be in the $200+ range as an approx. guess.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Funny, Last year I was taking some pictures in a tide pool as the tide came in. My T3i and 17-85 got splashed. The T3i died, but the lens is fine. 8^)

It may have taken the salt water this long to corrode some electrical gizmo's inside.  Call Canon Support.  You may not get good news. The lens and/or the camera is not sealed against splashing or getting wet.  Sorry!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I was just sharing the story. I have moved on with a new T6S and 18-135. I am using the 17-85 on my XS as a spare until it dies (or not!). Thanks for the sympathy, though!

@kvbarkley wrote:

I was just sharing the story. I have moved on with a new T6S and 18-135. I am using the 17-85 on my XS as a spare until it dies (or not!). Thanks for the sympathy, though!

The takeaway is that sooner or later anyone who regularly photographs at the beach needs a beach camera. Mine is a Rebel XTi with an old Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8.

Bob

Thanks Bob for your quick response and  help.. I was looking at some certified refurbished and they are selling for over $500.,which is just a bit more than what my deductible would be. I would think it would cost less to fix.   This is actually my third of this lens.  The first one was damaged because I dropped my bag after slipping on a wet floor at a school.. That could have gone really bad.  The second one just stopped focusing in the middle of a shoot but was under warrantee. Now this.. lol  It must be me.   I still like the lens. I have had this one for several years and have shot season after season of basketball, I also use it as my wide angle second camera for every other season and just about everything I do. Basically I have used the heck out of it.   I recently read that it should always be transported while switched to manual.  I have never done this but It makes since and I will start do this with all of my lenses.

Announcements