cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon EF 500mm f/4 l is usm lens Image Stabilization settings

USCRx
Contributor

Purchased lightly-used 1st generation 500mm f/4 lens. I'm not sure what "I" and "O" mean for the setting. Also, when would I use Mode 1 and/or Mode 2 (see photo)? Would love any help for these settings. Thanks!

500mmthumbnail.jpg

48 REPLIES 48

@USCRx wrote:
Hopefully, that was a large part of the issue. Like you mentioned, tho, it really pays to get to know your lens. The settings on that photo were: tripod w/ gimble head, Canon EOS 7D Mark II, 500mm EF L IS USM lens, Extender 1.4x II, ISO 1000, f/5.6, 1/1600 sec., cropped by about 1/3.

Do you disable iTR AF in the camera, too?  This is a "must do" when shooting wildlife and most sports.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Wow! Didn't know that. My EOS iTR was enabled. I just disabled it. What's the significance of this setting for wildlife photography? Thanks!

With your 7D2, ITR won't be active in any case unless your AF select is set for all points, large zone, or small zone; any other AF sensor coverage restriction prevents ITR from working.

In some cases, ITR is useful but it is absolutely critical that you properly set up the initial focus point which is what the camera will be biased towards in achieving initial focus.  Otherwise, ITR will lock on something else (like the background) and won't refocus on your subject until you release AF and restart.

With wildlife and MOST sports, I use either a single focus point or a single point with a few points expansion.  Because of COVID, I haven't had a chance to even try my 1DX III with ITR enabled under game conditions but I found it seems to be significantly better than the 1DX and 1DX II implementations during a brief test during practice.  It is probably because of the improved AF sensor with 191 points in the mark III.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"... ITR will lock on something else (like the background) and won't refocus on your subject until you release AF and restart."

A little further, it looks for faces.  It can lock on a rock or other object that looks like a face.  Just like the human eye if there is no face, it looks for one. We see faces in clouds and rocks and tree, etc so can the camera.

" I use either a single focus point or a single point with a few points expansion."

This is the best way.  Smiley Happy  IMHO, too!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@wq9nsc wrote:

With your 7D2, ITR won't be active in any case unless your AF select is set for all points, large zone, or small zone; any other AF sensor coverage restriction prevents ITR from working.

Rodger

Whether or not iTR affects focusing or tracking depends upon which 9=pt mode you have selected.  

F978ACCE-931D-4972-97BD-6569A9E5D058.jpeg

The top one only focuses.  The bottom one focuses and tracks, and would be affected by iTR.

Thanks so mch for the information! And, to let you know, my focusing issues have decreased with a bit of practice. This photo of a harbor seal on the rocks at Avila Beach, CA was taken on a tripod with the 500mm + 1.4x extender @ f/5.6, ISO 640, 1/1600 sec., cropped by about 1/5.2533DNaWeb-1.jpg

Nice capture Jim and it looks like you have sucesffuly climbed the 500mm learning curve 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

Nice capture Jim and it looks like you have sucesffuly climbed the 500mm learning curve 🙂

Rodger

I agree.  No AFMA needed.  All it took was some time.  

"No AFMA needed."

It should never be the first remedy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements