cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon 35mm f2 is usm

kevin2
Contributor

can anyone tell me what the fixed marks 22 11 and the red dot on the focus ring indicator signify

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The numbers are an aperture settings.  They are showing the approximate depth of field at those aperture settings.  As you vary the focus, you can read off of the focus ring how deep the DoF would be.

26B1D035-9104-4720-8725-49875F4FB858.jpeg

The lens in the image is focused at the hyperfocal distance.  I am not sure about the red dot.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

kevin2
Contributor
Thanks everyone. Appreciate your help and knowledge

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

kevin2
Contributor
Thanks

Red dot on hyper focal distance scale.

Good questions.

Its the infrared focusing mark.  Believe its a carry over from days gone by.  With infrared film you actually had to focus at a different place than normal because the infrared spectrum of light is different than what we see with our eyes.  No idea how to replicate digitally, but I guess it can still be done. 

*****All 3 of us posted over one another  LoL

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"*****All 3 of us posted over one another"

It would seem so. Smiley Happy

In fact most lenses don't have many marks on them at all anymore.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The cool adaptive LCD display on my 70-300 II does not have an infrared mark. 8^)

I am hoping for a firmware update so that it will show the hyperfocal distance.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The red dot is for infrared focus, because the wavelength is different, you need to focus at a slightly different point. It does not mean much for a DSLR. 8^)

kevin2
Contributor
Thanks everyone. Appreciate your help and knowledge
Announcements