cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can not use F22 or iso less than 400 with lens 17-55 , help me ?

srmdnadem
Contributor

I have canon 80d and lens EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, when I need to reduce the F to F22, the light will be very low or dim especially in the video mode, So in this case, I must increase the iso to about 12000 , but the last value would produce the video with very noise. so with my lens, I can not definitely use the value of F22 which is very useful in some case to reduce or get rid of Blur for the background of things, so please recommend me? I Need your help please.

see my video below to understand me completely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIrbgpwLWpQ

also see this following article which is explain why I need to get iso about 400

https://www.exposureguide.com/exposure/ 

[Mod note: Please do not post in bold or a large font. This can be seen as yelling or rude behavior.]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@srmdnadem wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Good.  If you understand the basics, then you will understand my suggestion that you invest in video lights.  Many people use them.

if you have any instruction and values that may use it in my camera and reach to get more thought, I will love it, do you have it, please?

I can offer no recommendations for specific products.  Everyone has different needs.

You should seek the advice of a reputable vendor that sells video gear.  I have had good results with B&H Photo Video in NYC with their advice for photo accessories.  They have experts in various topics related to shooting video.  Most of their online experts work for equipment manufacturers.

You need sufficient light to drop your ISO several stops.  You will likely need more than one to avoid hard shadows.  Do not be alarmed if the recommend four, either.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Shooting with an f/22 aperture may require that you use very high ISO settings.  That’s how it works.  You have to give up something to gain something.  

I suggest that you take the time to learn more about basic photography, so that you can gain insight into your video settings.  You should do a web search for articles about “ exposure triangle “ and “ depth of field “.  The Canon DLC, Digital Learning Center, is a good place to start.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos101_cll.shtml

That is a link to the first of a series of short videos about basic photography.  Hope this helps.

@Waddizzle wrote:

Shooting with an f/22 aperture may require that you use very high ISO settings.  That’s how it works.  You have to give up something to gain something.  

I suggest that you take the time to learn more about basic photography, so that you can gain insight into your video settings.  You should do a web search for articles about “ exposure triangle “ and “ depth of field “.  The Canon DLC, Digital Learning Center, is a good place to start.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos101_cll.shtml

That is a link to the first of a series of short videos about basic photography.  Hope this helps.

I am very thank you for your response to my inquiry, I know about the link before, also I have a good information about Aperture and iso .and also the exposure triangle “ and “ depth of field as the following links:

https://www.exposureguide.com/exposure/

and :

https://www.exposureguide.com/iso-sensitivity/ 

But I have seen some videos they increase the F value to F22 without a big dim of footage. So, I can not use iso 800 and just F=F11 without the darkness of the footage. so I hope to image that F=F11 the recorded videos will be very dim, and when I enforce to increase the ISO to 7000, the noise will be very obvious.

Good.  If you understand the basics, then you will understand my suggestion that you invest in video lights.  Many people use them.

@Waddizzle wrote:

if you have any instruction and values that may use it in my camera and reach to get more thought, I will love it, do you have it, please?

@srmdnadem wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I can offer no recommendations for specific products.  Everyone has different needs.

You should seek the advice of a reputable vendor that sells video gear.  I have had good results with B&H Photo Video in NYC with their advice for photo accessories.  They have experts in various topics related to shooting video.  Most of their online experts work for equipment manufacturers.

You need sufficient light to drop your ISO several stops.  You will likely need more than one to avoid hard shadows.  Do not be alarmed if the recommend four, either.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@srmdnadem wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

thank you advance from my heart. I will accept your response as a solution

@Waddizzle wrote:

@srmdnadem wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

do you recommend me please a good light for take videos and images ? give me production from ebay please?

for example, I knew about the following studio 

2016 2x 135W Bulb Photo Studio Lamp Umbrella Light Stand Continuous Lighting Kit  

if you have a good suggestion, let me know from ebay please ?

Again, I can offer no recommendation on a video light.  However, I can recommend that you shop somewhere besides eBay.  I do not know enough about video lights.

@kvbarkley - I believe he said that he was using f/22 to expand the DOF, and have the background in focus, too.  I do not understand the rationale behind it, so I did not question it.  I think f/22 is way too narrow, and f/8 should be sufficient.

Waddizzle: Yeah, I think you are right. ND's are used for the opposite problem, wanting to use a wide aperature for more DOF. My Bad.

OP:

google "lensrentals blog breakdown lighting options" [without the quotes] for an idea of what's available. From there you can search your favorite commerce sites. Posting links like that are not allowed on this board.

Announcements