cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i buy a lens which suits for portraits and macro photography?

shumonsaha
Enthusiast

I have a 600D canon.

I want to buy a lens that can work both for portraits and also for macro.Is it possible?

Budget is approx. 400 $. Max stretch to 600$

I was recommended 50 mm f1.8 for portraits.

Will it also work as a macro lens?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

thank you.what do you mean by 100 mm too long for portrait? long in size of the lens? how does it actually matter.
pardon if you find my questions too basic pls.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Skirball
Authority

Yes, you can buy a lens that can do both, but like all things, compromises will be made.   That said, no, the 50 1.8 is not a Macro lens.  Canon does make a 50mm 2.5 macro, but it wouldn’t be my recommendation. 

A macro lens is a specific type of lens that can focus very close to the object; technically a true macro can provide 1:1 magnification.   Many general zooms will say macro but are not are not truly 1:1.   True macro lenses are quite spectacular, in my opinion, it’ll blow you away when you see how sharp they can be.

Portrait lenses on the other hand usually have a large aperture (less than 2.8).  This allows you to isolate your subject from the background, usually provides a softer look that works for portraiture, and allows more work with natural light.  People pay a lot of money for pleasing bokeh, a very subjective consideration. 

Long story short, I’d look at the Canon 60 mm 2.8 Macro, or the Canon 100 mm 2.8 Macro.  I prefer the 100 mm for macro work (it’s a fantastic lens), but it’s a bit long for portraits on a crop camera…  but can be done if you have the space.  I do find the lens too sharp for portraits, but that can be fixed in post.

thank you.what do you mean by 100 mm too long for portrait? long in size of the lens? how does it actually matter.
pardon if you find my questions too basic pls.

The focal length will determine your distance from the subject; longer the FL the further away you need to be.  On your camera you would have to be around 12 – 15 feet from the subject for a half body portrait, and twice that for a full body portrait.  Most people don’t have that kind of studio space.

canon 60 mm 2.8 seems to be my best choice for dual purpose. 🙂

hsbn
Whiz
Macro lens can be a wonderful portrait lens. I've used mostly macro lens for portrait. Like Skirball said, 100mm is long for indoor portrait.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Announcements