cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I use the old lenses of AE1-Program to the new DSLR camera??

vijay
Apprentice

I have some old lenses from Canon AE1-Program camera. Can I use them for new generation Canon DSLR camera?

13 REPLIES 13

cicopo
Elite

SEE

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/In-depth-information-re-adapting-older-lens...

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

hcbph
Enthusiast

Actually I'm using some FD lenses from a Canon A1 & AE1 on a T4I.  I picked up a FD to EOS adapter off Ebay that allows me to mount the lens to the body.  You have to focus and stop down the lens manually but it does work.  The hardest part is getting the image in focus using the view finder, live view works better.  I have some Tamron Adaptall 2 lens along with Canon and Sigma, all having the FD mounts on them.  I've also seen replacement Adaptall 2 to EOS mounts along with mounts that can be changed on dedicated FD mount lenses.  I have not tried those though as I plan to keep using my film camera for the time being also so I do not want to modify them at this time.

I have not had the DSLR long enough to come to a valid opinion if this is a good option or not.  I have gotten some photo's that aren't bad but I think they can be better yet, but I think that will take time.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks for your input.

IMHO, it is simply not worth the effort.Smiley Sad

I have made many attempts and all are lacking compared with EOS lens. The only one that does a pretty good job is my FD 600mm f4.5. But the cost of that lens makes the adapters worth the trouble.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebigg1, I respect your opinion but I think you touched on part of the reason to try using the adapter but missed the point.  I have a 400mm prime lense, a macro lens and some others in FD mounts that I'm not in a position to replace today with EF lenses due to cost and/or quality.  I'd like to try those lengths on my DLSR body and see what happens without having to rent or buy new glass at this time.  Yes you have to set them manually, but then again many people are doing full manual setup with the current digital equipment also so it's the same principle.  It takes alittle more time up front but only you can decide if it's right for you or not.

Will I ever get comparable glass for the current body - I don't know, I expect some but not all.  I currently own these FD lenses so other than a one time adapter purchase and a little extra time, it's not a large investment.  I think I spent less than $50 for the adapter I have so it's alot less than a single replacement lens and allows me to shoot using some of these other lens today.  I view it like any other experiment, it's a learning experience.  Whether it's digital vs film, using on-camera filters to enhance an image vs none, whether it's auto focus vs manual, etc - it's all learning.   I know some people even buy FD mount lenses and change the mount so they have an EF mount on the lense.  They buy it for the perceived quality of the image or glass and I respect that also.

All I'm saying is IMO it's worth trying to see if it's useful to you or not if you have the camera and the lenses available.  Who knows, you might like it, then again you might not.

I certainly understand your desire. You sound exactly like me, only a few years ago. I have 15 FD lenses and I can't believe there isn't some way to make use of the many thousands of dollars I have invested. Most of my FD glass is Canon "L" and at one time the best you could buy.

The only "converter" that I know of that is even close to being worth consideration is made by Jakub Mika. You may want to give him a shout.

One other thing, you mentioned the low cost of the converter you got, $50 bucks or so? Does it make sense to put a $50 dollar piece of glass on a Canon "L" lens? I think you will find the answer yourself but I would love to hear back from you after you have exhausted your resources.

I wish you all the best and hope you find a reasonable solution.......................................and let me know about it!Smiley Happy

EB

I took a look at Ed Mika's stuff - impressive.  Only issues are it's a mod to the lens along with it's only for selected lens and it can add up quickly if you have several lenses at around $150 each.  It doesn't work with my Sigma's or Tamron's plus I still want to use them on my A-1.  If the weather ever gets better around here, I still want to try some on a landscape shots and see if it's viable or not using that adapter.  I'm not expecting Ansel Adams stuff, rather seeing what looks right or wrong on my T4I.

Go for it! Experience is the best teacher. If not the maybe the most expensive one.Smiley Happy

EB

See if this works (this site apparently doesn't like IE 10 64 with current 64 bit flash) - site would not let me upload to it.

I had about a 10 minute window today between the rain burst so I tried to get some shots.  Nothing scientific, just could I get the shot if I had no other options, comparing a FD mount lens with an FD to EOS Adapter vs a FF telezoom lens that has the same focal lenth avail as the FD lens.  Took a couple of guesstimates on the adapted lens on settings and tried to come close with the DG lens as it appeared at that time.  Both are Sigma's, both close as possible on length, f-stops were a guess and I used a remote release on the camera along with a tripod.  All settings on both pictures were done manually.   Basically if a FD with an adapter was my options and I wanted a picture, could I get it?  Now I think with a little practice, I think it could definitely be better, and it sure looks like it is possible.  Don't know if it could be as good or better than a EF or EF-S lens but then again practice helps everything.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t248/hcbph/Camera%20Stuff/400_Manual_3_zps3867281e.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t248/hcbph/Camera%20Stuff/400_Manual_3_zps3867281e.jpg

Best option - no, but at least it's possible.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements