cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad copy of canon 100-400 II

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hello

I bought a brand new canon lens it turned out to be a grey import as the seller could not provide a vat invoice. I am trying to return it if it can be done delivered to uk address but apparently came from Australia probably from hong kong. the focus is very slow I have done a test video please see the below link and watch it. After watching a review of the lens from another person it seems to me the focus on his lens is quick and my lens is very slow. https://youtu.be/7iOiEbCVNaM

Please let me know what you think any advise would be helpful.

31 REPLIES 31

regarding the focus limiter I had it set to 3 meter plus when outside and on full during the tests when indoors. 

"After watching a review of the lens from another person it seems to me the focus on his lens is quick and my lens is very slow" 

You have repeatedely made remarks that raise questions about the robustness of your camera battery.  Change it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

focus limitor is not an issue it was set to full.

Paul,

It isn't the battery and it isn't the focus limiter. Those are words from people that don't know what it could be and are guessing.  I still don't think anything is wrong except your perception of the lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Paul,

It isn't the battery and it isn't the focus limiter. Those are words from people that don't know what it could be and are guessing.  I still don't think anything is wrong except your perception of the lens.

Of course, those are the words from a person who is making their own guess.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"... words from a person who is making their own guess."

Yes, it is, as is all the comments made.  A definite diagnosis is impossible without seeing the lens first hand.  That said I did watch his vid and I have read his comments.  I have drawn my assessment about both.   Knowing that lens and Canon reputation, I will err on the side Canon got it right.

It is not his battery.  It is not the focus limiter.  Most of the time a lens is better than the photographer, believe it.

EB

i think the lens is a bad copy watching a simlar one on you tube my focus seems very slow 

You must do what you think is right.

EB

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You probably saved some money buying the way you did. Send it to Canon for check/repair, chalk up the cost to a lesson learned and put your mind at ease.

I agree with ebigg1 that once you send the lens back you may be out money and product.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

you might be pleased to know its not my copy of the lens I checked another one in a shop and the focus speed is the same I find the lens focusing too slow.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements