cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any tutorials to properly use canon 70-200 f2.8L is II usm lens?

kertl7779
Contributor

I am a novice, but want to learn properly the use of  canon 70-200 f2.8L is II usm lens. Please help with my question. I am using a canon 60D camera. Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

Hi everyone,

This thread has been helpful.

I was wondering if I could get some advice.

This Sunday I'm shooting a road race.

I'll be standing in one spot while runners run toward me and then pass me by.

I'll be hand-holding, and will need to move around a bit in all directions to get the shots.

Which IS mode should I use? 

Thanks,

Ben

@benrub wrote:

Hi everyone,

This thread has been helpful.

I was wondering if I could get some advice.

This Sunday I'm shooting a road race.

I'll be standing in one spot while runners run toward me and then pass me by.

I'll be hand-holding, and will need to move around a bit in all directions to get the shots.

Which IS mode should I use? 

Thanks,

Ben

Mode 2 if you're panning, mode 1 otherwise. Note that what matters isn't how much you had to move around to get the shot, but whether you're moving in either the horizontal or vertical direction while you're shooting. At least that's how I read what the manual says. I've used my 70-200 IS II quite a lot, but I don't believe I've ever used mode 2.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

These are people you are shooting?  Boy that sounds bad, doesn't it? Smiley Wink  Anyway if it is I would not use Mode 2.  Just leave it on Mode 1 and use One Shot.  Use just the center focus point.  Turn the others off.  Use a fairly high ISO, say 800.  I would try Av first but if conditions warrant, I might switch to Tv.  Can't give specifics without knowing or seeing the exact conditions.

Two things, IS does not fix a moving subject.  It fixes a moving camera.  And secondly your location is more important than any of this.  So grab the best spot you can.

If it is where they throw that colored powder all over everything, be very careful.  It and cameras don't do well together.  Don't ask but I know!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the clarification, will keep it in mind

thanks, i got the lens to shhot minor league baseball, I believe the lens would help me a lot

I do alot of sports photography... mainly running and biking events.  I always keep IS to ON position.  My hands are not the most stable even with standing still.

Thanks for the technical information and photo sample, I will try to follow your directions and perhaps, capture same photo situation sometime soon.

Franklin

60D

Tim, that's a wonderful shot. Thanks for explaining mode 2 - I always wondered what that was for, having forgotten to RTFM.

Great review.

Announcements