cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any tutorials to properly use canon 70-200 f2.8L is II usm lens?

kertl7779
Contributor

I am a novice, but want to learn properly the use of  canon 70-200 f2.8L is II usm lens. Please help with my question. I am using a canon 60D camera. Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This is a great lens. My most favorite of all time.

There is a great big wide world out there with all kinds of fantastic stuff to shoot. Bolt that lens on and go out and shoot.

Shoot a lot. You will learn form the greatest teacher there is, experience.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for your words of encouragement 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Are you trying to understand the switches?  

I do not know of any "tutorials" per se, but can run you through what they do and why you'd care.

The lens has four switches on the side.

The top switch is a focus-range limiter.  In the 1.4-infinity position it will use the full range.  In the 2.5-infinity position it will not attempt to focus on close objects.

The next swtich down is the auto-focus / manual-focus switch ... common to all auto-focus lenses.  You probably are familiar with that one already.

The next switch is turns the image stabilization on or off.  All image stabilized lenses have one of these as well, so you're probably familiar with it.

The final switch is the most interesting... this changes the stabilizer mode.  

Mode 1 provides full stabilization and this is the mode that works like just about every other lens with image stabilization.  Most of the time, this is the mode you want.

Mode 2 is a special mode useful for "panning" shots.  This mode is intended for situations where you're tracking a subject moving horizontally across the image.  You don't want the stabilization to fight you as you track, but you don't want to completely switch off stabilization either.  Basically you need to track in the horizontal direction, but stabilize in the vertical direction -- that's what mode 2 does.  

Cyclist

This shot was taken with an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (original... not the "II") using image stabilization mode 2.

To get this shot, I slowed the shutter speed down to only 1/40th sec.  This is normally too slow to "freeze" action, but in this case I want to imply motion.  The camera is not still ... I'm using the camera hand-held at this speed and I'm tracking the rider by "panning" the camera down the street with the bike.  The image stabilization will correct for any minor up/down movement of the lens, but will not attempt to correct for sideways movement (because of course we WANT the lens to be sweeping sideways).  

When the shot it taken at this slow shutter speed, we get a blurred background and we also get blurred spokes on the bike -- which really helps convey the motion in the shot even though this is a "still" camera shot (no Photoshop effects here.)

Panning shots do take some practice and plan to get a lot of bad ones.  I use "continuous" shooting and take a burst of shots as the subject moves past me, then evaluate to decide which one ultimately is the strongest image.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Nice summary of the possibilities with this lens. And there is material out there on when you miight not want to use IS. Sports, for instance.

It's not true, however, that all IS lenses have a switch. EF-M lenses, for example.

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/

@trulandphoto wrote:

Nice summary of the possibilities with this lens. And there is material out there on when you miight not want to use IS. Sports, for instance.

It's not true, however, that all IS lenses have a switch. EF-M lenses, for example.

I would actually encourage the use of IS for sports.  While the shutter speeds to "freeze" action are fast enough that IS isn't needed to prevent blur due to camera movement, the IS system is actually in use while the camera is focusing.  The camera will be able to lock focus faster and more accurately if you leave the IS switched on.

If you put the camera on a tripod then it's a good idea to switch the IS off.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Ditto. Tim.  Smiley Happy

There has been lots written about IS and the bottom line is, it is usually a good thing. Mounting on a tripod is really the only time it may work against you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks, I think using a monopod will help rather than using a tripod because of space need at minor league games

Leaving IS on also helps stabilize the image in the viewfinder, which can be helpful with moving subjects.

There's no need to turn IS off, even on a tripod. If there's no movement, the 70-200 IS lenses self-detect and turn IS off automatically (so do the super telephotos with IS).

The only times I'd recommend turning IS off is if taking really long exposures or possibly when shooting video. Occasionally when there is no movement, IS causes the image to "drift" slowly. This isn't a problem at normal shutter speeds and shooting stills, but can effect long exposures and video. You also might turn IS off if you need to conserve battery power... but it really doesn't use much, so you won't save much. I've shot 1200+ images with dual LP-E6, all with IS, and still had plenty of charge in the batteries to keep shooting.

For sports shooting, you will likely want to use AI Servo mode and probably will get the best results using only the center AF point, at least to start. Later you might expand to use other AF points, too.

You also might want to try Back Button Focusing. It's a popular technique among sports photographers.

There is a series of three Youtube tutorials regarding Canon auto focus that I recommend viewing, posted by B&H Photo. The first of the three approx. half hour videos is here. It's not specific to that particular lens and discusses various camera models, though not the latest. However, your 60D's AF system is pretty much identical to the 50D's, which is discussed in some detail. Watch all three and they will help you get the best out of your camera and lens.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thanks for taking the time to explain and suggestions for taking better photos. Also thanks for suggesting I view the 3 videos about focusing, awesome information by watching all 3 of the tutorials.

Thanks again

Franklin Leon

Announcements