cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth getting Sigma lens with lack of AFMA on 60D?

ekpreinhards
Contributor

I recently purchased a Canon 60D and am looking for a near 50mm equivalent and the Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art seemed like the best budget option. However, due to the lack of AFMA on the 60D, is it worth investing in a third party lens such as the Sigma? 

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The Sigma Art Series of lenses have their own AFMA adjustment through the Sigma Dock.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ekpreinhards wrote:

I recently purchased a Canon 60D and am looking for a near 50mm equivalent and the Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art seemed like the best budget option. However, due to the lack of AFMA on the 60D, is it worth investing in a third party lens such as the Sigma? 

I would be more concerned about how to properly process the photos from the Sigma lens.  Canon’s DPP software is not compatible with non-Canon lenses.  DPP is able to apply lens correction to Canon lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...the Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art seemed like the best budget option"

Chances are it won't need anything.  If you want it get it.

"...due to the lack of AFMA on the 60D, is it worth investing in a third party lens such as the Sigma?"

AFMA is a great feature when you need it.  Most lenses don't.  A lot of the time this adjustment is done by folks that don't know any better.  They read a few little inner web stories on how AFMA made their copy of a lens so much sharper. It or any thing else you can do to a lens will not make it any sharper. Barring a physical alteration to the lens. AFMA simply moves the critical focus point.  Sigma's dock does no more either.

The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon is already an extremely sharp lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...the Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art seemed like the best budget option"

Chances are it won't need anything.  If you want it get it.

"...due to the lack of AFMA on the 60D, is it worth investing in a third party lens such as the Sigma?"

AFMA is a great feature when you need it.  Most lenses don't.  A lot of the time this adjustment is done by folks that don't know any better.  They read a few little inner web stories on how AFMA made their copy of a lens so much sharper. It or any thing else you can do to a lens will not make it any sharper. Barring a physical alteration to the lens. AFMA simply moves the critical focus point.  Sigma's dock does no more either.

The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon is already an extremely sharp lens.

@ekpreinhards,

Like Ernie said, if the 48mm equivlent works for you, the 30 prime is a great lens.  I have 3 Sigma lenses, 2 C's, 1 Art.  I waited to buy the Sigma Dock until I was sure a FW update for 1 or more of my lenses would be beneficial for me. 

None of the lenses have needed adjustment for front or back focus.  But what the guys state in regards to DPP and lens correction stands true.  While I do not regret buying Sigma lenses, it has forced me to look at other post processing solutions due to the lack of 3rd party lens support in DPP.  It's not a bad thing, but you have to work extra hard where owning Canon with Canon means all you have to do is check a box.  I am not trying to discourage or disuade you from buying Sigma.  Many of this forums members whom I regard as experts and trust own 3rd party lenses.  This is why I didn't hesitate when I returned to enmthusiast level photography after many years.  If you are only planning to buy 1 non canon lens, I'd re-consider sticking with Canon.  If you are going to buy more than 1, you may want to get the dock eventually.  You can read the release notes for each version of FW and determine if you need to update based on your situation.

Edit - I just checked..  you will not need the dock for this lens on a 60D.  Only 1 FW has been released.  1.02 - 4/2016 - MOUNT CONVERTER MC-11 compatibility. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

" You can read the release notes for each version of FW and determine if you need to update based on your situation."

This is a great point.  Not all FW updates are beneficial.  Lenses or cameras, you really need to know what they updated.

On the lens correction part of this discussion, if you are in the 'Art' level of lenses you are more of an enthusiast than just a base amateur.  This indicates to me, you are more inclined to get a real benefit from software like Lightroom or Photoshop.

Either of which will do lens correction for almost every lens made. Plus you have the ability to create your own profiles and presets.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon will give you a equivalent 48mm AOV.  If that is your goal go for it. Smiley Happy

EB

valokoparo4545
Apprentice

First off Canon does not recommend to use a 45 degree angle chart. The test target should be parallel to the sensor. Next with cameras that have MFA Canon recommends to make those adjustments at the location you are shooting. So basically at the distance you normally shoot at. How is the lens working in the real world?

So your lens is out of warranty. Is that a good reason to sell it. They must have UPS in Latvia. Just send to Sigma for tune up of you like the lens. [links removed per forum guidelines]

Look at a Lens Align, while the focus target is parallel to the sensor, you need a 45 degree scale to determine the degree (and direction!) of front or back focus.

This is an old post but if anybody is still around check out the Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM Lens.  Fantastic lens.

EB
Announcements