cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Lenses for EOS Rebel Film version work on Digital

johncardos
Apprentice

Will Sigma and EF lenses bought foe a EOS Rebel Film Version camera work on the new digital bodies?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@johncardos wrote:

Will Sigma and EF lenses bought foe a EOS Rebel Film Version camera work on the new digital bodies?

As already mentioned the EF lenses will work.

The Sigma lenses might work. And if the Sigma lenses don't work you may or may not be able to get them rechipped. And even if you can it might not be worth the expense. 

Something to keep in mind is lens making and design has come a long way since the days of the film Rebel. Canon's current consumer grade STM lenses match the image quality of their L lenses from that time. So while you can use older lenses you may not want to.

There are of course some old gems that hold up well even today, the EF 85mm f/1.8 comes to mind. 

View solution in original post

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I will say that the Sigma lens does work on my old body, but does hit the battery pretty hard

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

Normally "yes" but sometimes third party lenses like Sigma may need to be re chipped or have a firmware update. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I will say that the Sigma lens does work on my old body, but does hit the battery pretty hard

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@johncardos wrote:

As already mentioned the EF lenses will work.

The Sigma lenses might work. And if the Sigma lenses don't work you may or may not be able to get them rechipped. And even if you can it might not be worth the expense. 

Something to keep in mind is lens making and design has come a long way since the days of the film Rebel. Canon's current consumer grade STM lenses match the image quality of their L lenses from that time. So while you can use older lenses you may not want to.

There are of course some old gems that hold up well even today, the EF 85mm f/1.8 comes to mind. 

Announcements