Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Will EOS T3 Rebel lens work with Canon's newer mirrorless cameras?

Hello Forum;

Question: Will the Canon EOS T3 Rebel 18-55 lens work with the Canon mirrorless cameras?

I have got a Canon EOS T3 Rebel camera I bought about five years ago. I am wanting to upgrade to a newer camera and am considering the Canon mirrorless cameras.

Thank you in advance.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Will EOS T3 Rebel lens work with Canon's newer mirrorless cameras?

It will require an adapter.

Honored Contributor

@petenorris wrote:

Hello Forum;

Question: Will the Canon EOS T3 Rebel 18-55 lens work with the Canon mirrorless cameras?

I have got a Canon EOS T3 Rebel camera I bought about five years ago. I am wanting to upgrade to a newer camera and am considering the Canon mirrorless cameras.

Thank you in advance.

Which mirrorless cameras are you considering? If it's the full-frame "R" series, then even with an adapter, the image produced by your 18-55 lens won't cover the entire sensor, since that lens was designed for cameras with the smaller APS-C sensor. So you won't get the benefit of the camera's full resolution.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Reputable Contributor

Yes, you can use your EF or EF-S lenses on a Canon morrorless camera, but you will need an adapter. It would cost about $100-200 depending on what brand, and what format you buy. 

Mirrorless cameras are designed to have the lens mount closer to the image sensor. To mount a DSLR lens on a Mirrorless camera, you need to restore the correct mounting distance. The adapter, is really just a spacer tube with electrical contacts. 

Canon has APS-C "M" series Mirrorless Crop cameras that use the EF-M lens mount,  and the Full Frame "R" series Mirrorless cameras that use the RF mount.

You would need either an EF/EF-S to EF-M adapter or EF/EF-S to RF adapter depending on which Canon Mirrrless camera you buy. 

Mike Sowsun
S110, SL1, 80D, 5D Mk III
Occasional Contributor

Thanks everyone for responding. Smiley Happy

I'm going to have to do my research before buying a new camera.

Highlighted
VIP

"I'm going to have to do my research before buying a new camera."

Good idea.  Adapters are just that adapters, not the best idea in my book.  The lens designed exactly for the camera is always the best go.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!