cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Canon "protect" lenses hurt image quality ?

mangurian
Rising Star

Canon sells these and says they can be left on all the time.   Is this a high quality glass ?

Any info on how they effect image quality appreciated.

45 REPLIES 45

Oh, BTW, Trevor some are rude doing it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Oh, BTW, Trevor some are rude doing it.

REALLY !!!!  Smiley SurprisedSmiley Surprised

Ernie, my friend, I am shocked, devastated nonplussed... and so moving on! Smiley LOL

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Lumigraphics wrote:

I often carry two bodies and seven lenses (16-35L, 24-105L, 70-200L, 18-135, 50, 35; my 100-400L may or may not stay home) and change lenses all the time. I'm not going to let worries about dust stop me from using the lens I need.

And I've been shooting in almost every environment imaginable for the past 36 years. As a working pro, you maintain your gear but there is no need to baby it.

I've never bothered with protective filters over several different systems including 35mm, 645, 4x5, and DSLR. A good quality filter probably won't impact image quality that much, regardless.

I started my working career just a shade earlier than you, but I have a different ethos and that's absolutely fine.  For me, most of my work was done well away from civilization so having equipment fail was unacceptable.  I learnt that in the military when we were taught to keep our M16's really clean - they never failed us, but we came across the bodies of US and ARVN soldiers who had not and their weapons were half stripped as they tried to get them working under fire. (That was one thing the AK47 had: you could dump it in mud and it would still work).  Old habits die hard...

I am always dubious about advice that is absolute: e.g. you MUST have a filter, or you MUST NOT etc.  We are all different in our habits, working environments and, perhaps most importantly of all, our preferences, values and biases.  How we use language to express that, especially those of us with experience, has consequences for others seeking advice.

Hence if I was making your statement I would have said, "as a working pro I maintained my gear, but personally felt no need to over-protect it".  My comments were made on my own experience and were identified as such: I worked underground in coal mines and tunnels, in the outback of Australia in dust storms; live volcanoes in Indonesia and NZ, salt water, concrete dust and hot steel, in operating theatres - I had blood sprayed over myself and my gear once.  As I said, it really depends on the individual experience - I don't know yours but I respect that what you do has worked for you.   I am just happy my gear has never faltered or needed repair (well, except for my brand new Canon 5DIV, the buffer of which failed on my first shoot, but that was a manufacturing fault).

Because of my nomadic lifestyle, carrying multiple extra lenses was never an option for me: I was selective in using just a few - one for each body, plus a spare with different focal range.  As I have got older and time has taken its toll on my physical abilities I am especially selective when I do multi-day hikes (no way I'm carrying 7 lenses on one of those).Smiley Tongue

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"I am always dubious about advice that is absolute: e.g. you MUST have a filter, or you MUST NOT ..."

How about when Canon says you must use a protecto filter if you want weather sealing on one of Canon's own lenses. Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I am always dubious about advice that is absolute: e.g. you MUST have a filter, or you MUST NOT ..."

How about when Canon says you must use a protecto filter if you want weather sealing on one of Canon's own lenses. Smiley Happy

Fair point Ernie - that is a requirement from the manufacturer, and I totally respect that as an absolute - although I suspect there are some who will ignore that anyway.   I was referring to people giving absolutist advice based on their experience.

cheers, TREVOR

" I was referring to people giving absolutist advice based on their experience."

It seems they are in unlimited supply.  I love your motto, BTW, "Take care of your gear and it will take care of you."

PS. I am very familiar with the M16 and AR variants.

EB
Announcements