cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wide Angle Zoom for Canon EOS R

tigamendonza
Apprentice

As the title suggests I’m looking for a UW angle zoom for my eos R for landscape photography. I have the 24-70 2.8 MKii that use about 75% of the time and the 70-200 F4 original that I use the other part. I’m looking to get some more wide angle shots in. Doesn’t have to be the best lens in the world looking for a balance in price and performance. I’ll still prolly use the 24-70 MKii more I’m not sure tho. Thank you in advance!

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you do not want to buy the best lens, then you might be better off saving your money.  You can always use a tripod to capture panoramic shots to create wider angle images.  Maybe this is your best path moving forward, a very high quality tripod and head.

BF5506E3-1439-403D-8818-1AF90127AD2D.jpeg

That is my landscape rig I use to capture capture panoramic shots.  I took the photo with a cell phone.  It is a Benro Alloy Series 3 Combination tripod, Benro B3 head, and a Sunwayfoto DRH-90Ri leveling base.  I use a 6D and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM a lot for landscape photography to create panoramic shots.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

If you do not want to buy the best lens, then you might be better off saving your money.  You can always use a tripod to capture panoramic shots to create wider angle images.  Maybe this is your best path moving forward, a very high quality tripod and head.

That is my landscape rig I use to capture capture panoramic shots.  I took the photo with a cell phone.  It is a Benro Alloy Series 3 Combination tripod, Benro B3 head, and a Sunwayfoto DRH-90Ri leveling base.  I use a 6D and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM a lot for landscape photography to create panoramic shots.

Panoramic photography is a nice skill to have, especially if you have a lot of time on your hands. It's not, IMO, a substitute for a wide-angle lens.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"It's not, IMO, a substitute for a wide-angle lens."

Yes but it does show the ingenious photographer always makes it work.  That has always been one of my main most things for what makes a good photographer and a great one.  The great ones make it work.  The others always blame their gear.  I didn't have my 10mm f-super lens or my flash battery died. I didn't have my FF camera so I can't take a landscape photo, so on and so forth, etc. 

Not saying I would not buy a UWA lens at all, I have several.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Yes but it does show the ingenious photographer always makes it work.  That has always been one of my main most things for what makes a good photographer and a great one.  The great ones make it work.  The others always blame their gear.  I didn't have my 10mm f-super lens or my flash battery died. I didn't have my FF camera so I can't take a landscape photo, so on and so forth, etc. 

I have a couple of wide angle lenses, too.  But, they do distort distance, and make things seem further away than what they actually are.  Using a more normal focal length to capture a wide angle image create a more natural looking image.  

For some people, iwide angle distortion does not matter.  I prefer the pano approach for more distant stuff.  For stuff that is much closer to the camera than some mountains, I will go ahead and use a wide angle lens.  Sometimes, I will do both.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Learning to do panoramic is a fine idea. But it requires time that one doesn't always have; and simply having the right lens is a quicker and more accurate solution. My customary example involves an embarrassing day a dozen years ago when I discovered, while trying to accomplish a shoot from the roof of a building, that I absolutely needed a WA lens. I've already told that story at least once in this forum, so I'll forebear to repeat it now. Suffice it to say that ever since, I've been careful to keep myself well enough equipped that it has never happened again.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Learning to do panoramic is a fine idea. But it requires time that one doesn't always have; and simply having the right lens is a quicker and more accurate solution. My customary example involves an embarrassing day a dozen years ago when I discovered, while trying to accomplish a shoot from the roof of a building, that I absolutely needed a WA lens. I've already told that story at least once in this forum, so I'll forebear to repeat it now. Suffice it to say that ever since, I've been careful to keep myself well enough equipped that it has never happened again.

The topic is landscape photography.  I shoot with wide angle lenses all the time.   

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Panoramic photography is a nice skill to have, especially if you have a lot of time on your hands. It's not, IMO, a substitute for a wide-angle lens.

But, this is more fun, though.  I use the tripod collar to roll the camera to portrait orientation, so I can capture the pano images. One drawback of a wide angle lens is how it distorts distance.  I can capture wide angle shots without that type of distortion.  

I have also used my EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro the same way, because of its' tripod collar.  No more need for an L-Bracket. No L-Bracket means less worry about getting the center of the sensor aligned through the vertical axis of rotation, when I switch from landscape to portrait.  You have those markings in landscape mode to align the sensor, but not portrait. 

[EDIT]. Time consuming?  Maybe not as much as you might think.  The real trick to capturing a good set of pano shots is to level the base of the tripod head.  Simply leveling the camera on the head will invariably result in the camera titling as your rotate the rig.

This tripod has interchangeable plates, so I can switch out [heads] just as fast as you can change a lens.  This bracket on the head stays aligned with the base.  I never need to turn the knob level the camera.  I use the leveling base to level the tripod head, and that takes a few seconds.

As far [as] processing goes, that goes fairly quickly, too.  Most of my pano shots use 3-6 shots, so the result looks like a regular 3:2 aspect ratio, or a 16:9 aspect ratio.  Adobe LR totally automates the process,  Select a few shots, and click GO.

@tigamendonza wrote:

As the title suggests I’m looking for a UW angle zoom for my eos R for landscape photography. I have the 24-70 2.8 MKii that use about 75% of the time and the 70-200 F4 original that I use the other part. I’m looking to get some more wide angle shots in. Doesn’t have to be the best lens in the world looking for a balance in price and performance. I’ll still prolly use the 24-70 MKii more I’m not sure tho. Thank you in advance!

EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM. On sale at B&H for $100 off. It's not an UW, but it's plenty wide for ordinary landscape photography. And it matches well with your other two lenses.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@tigamendonza wrote:

EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM. On sale at B&H for $100 off. It's not an UW, but it's plenty wide for ordinary landscape photography. And it matches well with your other two lenses.

If I owned.an RF mount camera, the only lenses I would buy would be RF mount lenses.  There is a very good UWA lens for the RF mount. the Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM.  But, that lens seems like it would be way beyond the implied budget the OP wants to work with.  So, my advice was to invest in a high quality tripod and head, if you do not want to spend the money on the lens that you really want.  Or, save up for the RF mount lens.

Announcements