cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wide Angle - Discussion / Advice (for canon efs 10-18mm lens)

Mike41
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I have a canon t5i. I purchased the canon EFS 10-18mm wide angle lens and have been very pleased with it. I am however looking for an even wider angle.

I understand this camera not being full frame will limit the field of view. So I am looking for the simplest solution to expand this wide angle further.

Does anyone have experience with a wide angle attachment lens that would work as an add on to this existing 10-18mm lens? One of those .43 or .35 etc attachment lenses. Trouble is most of them appear to be designed for not already wide angle lenses.. i think? not sure... 

I am looking for full photo without the circular fisheye effect. As in I want to capture the full frame of the image without it becoming a circle. 

Does anyone know of an attachment that will work?

or 

worst case to have to buy another lens that works with this cameras auto focus that has a wider angle? 

Thank you for your thoughtfull advice!

10 REPLIES 10

AndyMilnePhotog
Enthusiast

Does anyone have experience with a wide angle attachment lens that would work as an add on to this existing 10-18mm lens? One of those .43 or .35 etc attachment lenses.

I would not bother buying any of these because they degrade image quality & worsens the distortion of your lens.

I understand this camera not being full frame will limit the field of view. So I am looking for the simplest solution to expand this wide angle further.

The base 10-18mm IS STM has an equivalent FOV of a 16-29mm lens which is an ultra-wide angle still. The lens' focal range by itself should be more than sufficient in most landscape/ real estate situations.

Andrew
Nature Photography Hobbyist / Enthusiast
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

Hi and thank you!

I am still wanting to know if anyone has experience with one of those attachments that works? without leading to the circle fisheye issue. basically anything that would increase the wide angle. Also on that note, are there any high end attachments made? Perhaps that arent as distorting.

I understand it "should be sufficient" for some, but as I explained, I am still looking for a wider angle and any suggestions on how to accomplish this are appreciated? 

...I am still wanting to know if anyone has experience with one of those attachments that works?

...Also on that note, are there any high end attachments made? Perhaps that arent as distorting.

To be honest, I do not know anyone, pro or enthusiast, who would use this attachment on this lens. They are primarily made for megazoom point-&-shoot cameras as far as I am concerned.

Even if there are high-end attachments, I would still steer clear from them. Like I said, they're are not that good for a dslr IMHO.

...suggestions on how to accomplish this are appreciated? 

In your case, there is a post-processing technique called panorama stitching. You can take multiple images while panning your camera left to right or vice versa, and you can combine them together in photoshop creating a wider angle picture. This is better than having to attach/detach the wide-angle adapter all the time which can be a hassle.

Do you have PS or LR by the way?

Andrew
Nature Photography Hobbyist / Enthusiast
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

Hi and thanks for the responses!

I have not yet used PS or LR. This sounds like a viable option, and thank you!

Are you aware of any wider angle lenses compatible with this camera?

I came across this one: Opteka 6.5mm f/3.5 HD Aspherical Fisheye Lens & Removable Hood for Canon EOS 80D, 77D, 70D, 60D, 60Da, 50D, 7D, T7i, T7s, T7, T6s, T6i, T6, T5i, T5, SL2 and SL1 Digital SLR Cameras

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KGE4VS2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3IRYX17GR1Q0K&psc=1

Though, it doesnt appear to be functional with auto focus.. wonder if there is one compatible with auto focus in existence?

I thought you did not want a fisheye?

The depth of field is so wide autofocus is not really needed.

Mike,

The consensus is don't do it.  I suggest you really heed that.  Besides the awful IQ those gadgets render, they can be harmful to your Canon lens.  The lens is not designed to have that stuff screwed on to the front element.  It is possible to damage the lens.  Those add-ons are junk.

Once you get to 104 degrees of AOV distortion becomes very difficult to over come. Canon does make a larger AOV lens and it is one lens I truly love to use. The Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens.  Its name is misleading since it is a zoom. It is not a fisheye throughout its zoom range.  It is unusual to have a zoom in this range.  However, this lets you zoom down until you either get what you want or it does into fisheye. Without doing some post editing magic this is about as good as it gets.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

all good advice and thank you! from what i have gathered, what i want to achieve isnt going to be possible without a change. I decided to take a plunge, selling the t5i, and buying a full frame canon 6d mark 2, along with a pricey but seemingly great lense for wide angle, without the fisheye effect which is exactly what im looking for, Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM Lens.

i think this solves it, any other thoughts appreciated!

Keep in mind you need to keep the Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM Lens parallel and level. The Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens would have done the same thing for you and you would have 8mm to 10mm extra UWA.  The 11mm to 15mm would look pretty much the same on either lens.  But you give to get and you got 16mm to 24mm extra on the top end.

Hope it does all you need.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Mike41 wrote:

all good advice and thank you! from what i have gathered, what i want to achieve isnt going to be possible without a change. I decided to take a plunge, selling the t5i, and buying a full frame canon 6d mark 2, along with a pricey but seemingly great lense for wide angle, without the fisheye effect which is exactly what im looking for, Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM Lens.

i think this solves it, any other thoughts appreciated!

Canon had an application called Photostitch that i got with my Rebel T5.  I am not sure if it is still available with new cameras.  It was deigned to merge JPG files into panoramic images.  It was okay, but not perfect.  Because it worked with JPGs, it would have the occasional alignment errors.  It also limited you to a minimum focal length of 50mm, although this limitation was easily circumvented.  For a free application, it was great.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements