cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why CarePAK Plus is worth every penny.

PajamaGuy
Enthusiast

EF 70-200 L f/2.8 IS II ($1949.00) - inside OEM Canon lens case - rolled off car seat onto driveway.  Broke plastic knob on tripod mounting collar.  Focus at max distance became noticeably softer.

Packed in original box and shipped to Canon Repair (UPS with $2000 insurance = $56)

Repair Estimate:

1. New Tripod Mounting Ring - $116.73

2. In-warranty labor charge - $359.00

3. 2nd day Shipping & handling - $16.00

4. Tax - $7.30

========================

Total- $499.03 Smiley Sad

Cost with CarePAK PLUS = $0. Smiley Very Happy

Lessons learned -

1. Buy CarePAK Plus - Now 2 & 3-year plans. Price depends on product.

2. Buy a better lens case - Canon's has ZERO side padding.

3. Take the time to strap your equipment down so it will not roll around.

Great turn-around - I was without the lens for 4 weekdays (plus Sat & Sun)

PJ

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You know what?  On second thought, even if the 75 AW II is a little too roomy, snag an insert from your backpack to hold the camera body in place.  I just know that you have an "extra" insert with your backpack.  I know I do.  I have 3 backpacks, differing sizes.

[EDIT]  Update:

Using an extra insert, or two, takes care of the extra room problem for a camera body without a grip.  I'm on record as saying this bag is not for camera bodies without a grip.  I'd revise that now.  It still isn't for camera bodies without a grip, but you can work around it by absconding an insert from a backpack.  Having the second strap and rain cover makes it well worth it. 

I tuck the regular camera neckstrap down into the "socket" for the attached high performance lens.  I think of the space for the camera lens as a socket because you can adjust the inserts to make most any "L" lens, short of telephoto, fit as snug as a bug.  I can fit the 70-200mm f/2.8L II, the 24-104 f/4L, and even the wide front end 16-35 f/2.8L II lens.  Not all of them at once, just one of them mounted to the camera at a time.  They can all fit, with their lens hoods, with ease attached to a 6D w/grip and QR plate. A 1 Series would fit as snug as bug, as seen in the demo photos by LowePro.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Smiley Wink   Yep!

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"
Announcements