cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which of the 70-200mm L lenses is the sharpest?

gmango85
Contributor

I currently have the 70-200mm f2.8 L lens and I am wondering if the newer versions are as sharp or sharper.

Thank You

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Skirball
Authority

Yes, the new version is sharper (70-200 2.8 IS Mark II).  Does it even matter?  Is the increased sharpness going to make a difference in your work?  Will you even be able to tell based on the media you display your work in?  Is it worth the additional cost?

That’s all up to you.  Some say no, some say yes.  Most people online say yes.  I say no.  Red pill or blue pill.

View solution in original post

I have both the 70-200mm f4L IS USM and the 70-20mm f2.8L IS II USM.

There is nothing the f4 version does better, except weight and price.

There is more to consider in a lens than just sharpness.

Is it worth it to you? Only you can answer that. To me it is and I rarely use the f4 model any longer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Skirball
Authority

Yes, the new version is sharper (70-200 2.8 IS Mark II).  Does it even matter?  Is the increased sharpness going to make a difference in your work?  Will you even be able to tell based on the media you display your work in?  Is it worth the additional cost?

That’s all up to you.  Some say no, some say yes.  Most people online say yes.  I say no.  Red pill or blue pill.

Thank you for the response, I know and agree with you. I thought the IS maybe helpful.

Thanks again

I have both the 70-200mm f4L IS USM and the 70-20mm f2.8L IS II USM.

There is nothing the f4 version does better, except weight and price.

There is more to consider in a lens than just sharpness.

Is it worth it to you? Only you can answer that. To me it is and I rarely use the f4 model any longer.

EB

troutmouth
Apprentice

sigma, however against the canon there is not a big differece - except in price.

http://www.johnmckayphotography.com

Well, I have the Sigam, also. Smiley Happy

"... however against the canon there is not a big differece ..."

This is as wrong as could possibly be. The Sigma is not an "L". Not in the slightest. Will it make nice photos, yes it will.

But as I said before there is more to a lens than just sharpness. Now if sharpness is your single consideration get the Sigma.

The Canon 70-200mm f2.8 Series II is simply the best 70-200mm there is. Period.

I am fully aware of the cost factor and if it is the main factor, get the Sigma. But, "... however against the canon there is not a big differece ...", is simply not remotely true.

EB

Than you

Thank you, I am going to try to go that way while they have a nice rebate on it now.

Announcements