cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which lens to get? 24-70 f/4 vs 24-105

Ltc808
Contributor
I'm brand new to photography and I'm getting the 5D mark iii but I don't know which bundle to get. One comes with the 24-70 f/4 lens and the other comes with the 24-105. The 24-70 is about $200 more. I'm planning to shoot pretty much everything (landscapes, portraits, close ups, etc). I'm not sure which one I should get.

I'm also planning to get a lens for astrophotography a little later on (f lower than 2?). I was thinking about the rokinon 24 mm f/1.4. It's a manual focus and I'm new to all this so I'm not sure (magic lantern?). Lenses with autofocus are way too expensive for me. Any recommendations for Milky Way lenses?

So, would it be best for me to pick the 24-105 and save $200 to go towards an astrophotography lens? And any advice would be greatly appreciated (lenses, tripods, backpacks, flashes [looking at speed lite 430EX III], etc)

Thanks in advance!
31 REPLIES 31

Ltc808
Contributor
Thanks Alan. Super helpful advice. I was actually looking into getting a 6D at first, but I was worried that I'd really get into photography and would want to upgrade. I thought it would be better for me to just get the MK iii now instead of getting the 6D then upgrading it (I feel like money would be lost doing so). Now I'm debating on going back to the 6D.

If I do so, I'd obviously be saving a lot more money. So that leaves more room for lenses and other things like flash. I was planning to get the speedlite 430EX ii (I believe that's the name of it).

And what exactly is the 16-35 lens good for?

Ltc808
Contributor
Thank you! I'll definitely be using your advice/instructions for Astrophotography. I also checked out that link you posted and it's great. It's nice being able to check out different photos for different settings
Announcements