cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which lens should i buy?

Eschacher
Apprentice

Hello,
I have a Canon EOD 600D and i'm looking for the best camera there is for portrait and food photography. Ideally with F/2.8 or lower. Can anybody reccomend something suitable that will fit my camera body?

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11

"A 50mm will buy you more angle of view but you wont be able to produce quite as much blur. "

Sometimes, it doesn't matter.  You can adjust the background blur in post.

IMG_0079.Edit.JPG

This was shot in low loght by a complete novice using an EOS M3 and EF 40mm. 1/60, f/2.8, ISO .

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Eschacher wrote:

Hello,
I have a Canon EOD 600D and i'm looking for the best camera there is for portrait and food photography. Ideally with F/2.8 or lower. Can anybody reccomend something suitable that will fit my camera body?

Thank you!

You really are looking for two different lenses.  One low budget solution would be to buy a VERY good portrait lens.  Several have already been suggested.. Once you have a good portrait lens, then you could "adapt" it for shooting macros with a set of extension tubes.  Extension tubes are a poor man's way to shoot macro photos, until you buy a real macro lens. 

Extension tubes do not include any optics, so they do not significanly detract from image quality llike close-up filters would do.  Extension tubes come in different sizes, measured in mm. and they can be stacked to increase their length.  Generally, you want to use extension tubes that are 1/2 the focal length of your lens.

With a VERY good portrait lens, you many not even need a macro lens.  Unless you're shooting grains of rice, any lens with an MFD, minimum focus distance, of about 12 inches can serve the purpose of food photography very well.  And, you wouldn't need to invest in extension tubes, at all. 

Invest in a very good portrait lens, first.  Then, test it out on your food photography.  Remember, a high quality lens will give you food images that can be cropped slightly, and still maintain high details.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements