cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which lens is best to shoot horseshoe bend?

limvo05
Rising Star

Hello experts,

I will be taking a long roadtrip soon. Heading to the great state of Utah, checking out all the great national parks.

I was wondering if anyone could comment/suggest which lens to use for all the great scenaries Utah has to offers? I have 24-70 MK2, and 70-200 MK2. Should I acquire a wide angle lens?

Also, feel free to suggest best places to take those memorable photos.

Thanks,
LV

16 REPLIES 16

KristiG
Contributor

You are going to LOVE Horseshoe Bend. By all means buy a wider angle lens, something in the teens to a fisheye works.  If you want the full loop with both sides of the river showing, you'll shoot as far out on the ledge as you can manage. Personally, I was too chicken to get far enough out. You might even use a monopod or tripod to extend farther out towards the cliff. Just don't get so close you fall off -- which happens! Use a spotter if you're nervous. And Have a great time. While you're there you ARE going to Lower Antelope Canyon for a photographer's session (2 hrs in the slot canyon)? NOT Upper. That's where the tourists go, and way too much dust. 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Which camera body are you using?  Here's a link to an image shot with a full-frame body (5D II) at 24mm

https://flic.kr/p/GcAZyG

There are loads of images online that show the EXIF data ... so you can check the camera body & focal length used.  I just did a flickr search for "Horseshoe Bend" and found many results (not all include the data, but many do.)

I also noticed some shots taken late in the day with the sun in the background and reflecting glare off the water (unpleasant) so you'll want to consider the optimal location of the sun to provide the lighting you want.  The overlook faces west.  Too early in the day and you'll likely have the shadow from the cliff where you are standing.  Too late and you'll likely have strong back-lit (shadow foreground).   I'd probably go for a shot with the Sun just a bit before it crosses the meridian of the sky... say 11:30a (with daylight saving time it could be closer to 12 or 12:30p).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ScottyP
Authority

Sounds like a fun trip. 

I'd clean my sensor before going on such a nice photo trip.  I'd hate to take all those photos of all that great sky and then see the same dust spots or eyelashes smudging up every image.  I'd also be sure to take a rocket blower and brush with me.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

KristiG
Contributor
Yes, stitching panos works well—IF you can get into the right position to frame the shots. I had to “spray and pray” because I couldn’t get close enough to the edge to frame properly. That’s why a wide angle lens helps.

KristiG
Contributor
If you’re going to be shooting in canyons (and possibly encountering lots of dust) I’d buy a lens. It’ll do more than just cover the scene.

This is a test image of the Green River Overlook at Canyonland National Park

stiched from 6 photos at 1/125 @ f10, ISO 100, @50mm.

Announcements