cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which lens is best paired with Canon 5Ds for bird photography

limvo05
Rising Star

Hello,

Can anyone here give me some advice on which lens is best paired with my Canon 5Ds for bird photography?

I have with me a 70-200 F2.8 II and a 2X Extender Mark III. While it is manageable in terms of sizes, that combination is somewhat heavy to carry for any extended period of time. I was thinking of a CANON EF 400mm F5.6 L USM prime, however, I don't know if 400mm is ideal for birds photography? If I was to pair it with my 2x extender, the aperture would be doubled, rendering the combination useless. Lastly, I would like to keep the budget below $2000.

Thank you,

LV

22 REPLIES 22

"Another choice I like a lot and most folks don't know about is the EF 300mm f4 L IS lens.  With the same tel-con it gives you a 420mm f5.6 lens only now you have IS.  Win, win!  These are probably the lightest options for you while maintaining top IQ."

The OP is using the 2x teleconverter, not the 1.4x.  

I would not recommend using any teleconverters with a 5DS.  I think they have a built in crop mode.  Besides, AF speed will probably take a significant hit in a body that does not have high frame rate to begin with.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You are absolutely accurate on this. The AF speed drops a fair bit with the extender in place, and I don't think this is unique to the 5Ds.

@limvo05 wrote:

You are absolutely accurate on this. The AF speed drops a fair bit with the extender in place, and I don't think this is unique to the 5Ds.

It is not unique, but some bodies suffer worse than others.  The 2x teleconverter is far worse than the more popular 1.4x.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements