cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which lens? EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM or EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM - for indoor volleyball...

lilh
Contributor

Or perhaps something else?

I'm looking for recommendations for the best lens option for indoor volleyball, typically shot in poorly-lit high school gyms. I'd also use it for indoor flag football, but this is not as critical as the volleyball. I hate noise!  I recently upgraded from an 80D (still own) to a 5D Mk 4. I own the Canon 24-70 2.8L II. (also own the 100-400L IS II for outdoor baseball, softball, and football).  While the 24-70 is a great lens, I do a lot of cropping (I prefer the close-ups).  Even at ISO 3200 (or 600!), cropped images are just too noisy for my preference.  I'm wondering if adding another lens will remedy this, and I'm considering one of the following:

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM  (I've heard the III is not worth the additional cost)

EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM

Will the f2.8 at the longer focal length where I don't have to crop as much, give me enough light to limit the noise?  Or should I go with the faster f1.4 and sacfrifice the 86-200 length and the zoom factor? I'm aware with this lens I'd need to watch the DOF at the faster fstop.

I also shoot in RAW and process (including noise reduction) w/LR and ocassionally PS.

I know I can rent to try, but an overwhelming consensus one way or the other might remedy the need for that.

Thanks in advance for recommendations!

30 REPLIES 30

"But it turns out this is a built-in feature if you use Lightroom."..." but there are techniques to build one fairly quickly) and then de-noise the image with the edge-mask protecting the edges."

It is also "built-in" to Photoshop's ACR. It works exactly the same as the one in LR. All Raw images are imported in ACR when you use PS.  It has very similar or exactly the same controls found in LR. WHen you use the accompanying program Bridge, PS becomes almost identical to LR with the added advantages in editing offered by PS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements