cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Telezoom and TC fits EOS R/5 5/6D and APS-C best?

No-Frills
Contributor

I don't need a long reach lens very often, only sometimes for landscape, details or in a zoo. I shoot sport events seldom but sometimes flight shows.

My cam line-up: EOS R, 6D II, 5D III, the 77D APS-C, perhaps soon replaced by a 90D and the R5 as new top cam.

It should be clear that only a EF lens works on all these bodies and occasionally use is intended.

Sigma has a 150-600 5-6.3 DG OS with TC 1.4 magnification. Has someone experience if it works with TC on an R or R5? There are some other Sigmas up to 600mm, who do they work on R/R5, 6DII or 5DIII?

The Canon EF 400 5.6 comes in question, too. Because my (zoom) lens line-up to 300mm fullframe is very good and a 400mm could be enaugh esp. with an Canon TC1.4 or TC2.

If you want to visit Germany feel free to ask me about good locations for photography in my region (Ruhr district, ex coal mine area, Duesseldorf). And yes, my username is inspired by some sketches of the Carol Burnett Show.
5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@No-Frills wrote:

I don't need a long reach lens very often, only sometimes for landscape, details or in a zoo. I shoot sport events seldom but sometimes flight shows.

My cam line-up: EOS R, 6D II, 5D III, the 77D APS-C, perhaps soon replaced by a 90D and the R5 as new top cam.

It should be clear that only a EF lens works on all these bodies and occasionally use is intended.

Sigma has a 150-600 5-6.3 DG OS with TC 1.4 magnification. Has someone experience if it works with TC on an R or R5? There are some other Sigmas up to 600mm, who do they work on R/R5, 6DII or 5DIII?

The Canon EF 400 5.6 comes in question, too. Because my (zoom) lens line-up to 300mm fullframe is very good and a 400mm could be enaugh esp. with an Canon TC1.4 or TC2.

The EOS R has a native RF mount, so it requires an RF/EF adapter to use EF mount lenses.

I mostly shoot with full frame great, too.  I have the Sigma 150-600mm "C", but not the Sigma 1.4x teleconverter.  It is not something I would be interested in using due to image quality concerns.  When I want extra reach from super telephoto lens, then I reach for my lone APS-C body, a 7D2, instead of a teleconverter.  I get the benefits of using a TC without any of the negative effects of using one, mainly reduced AF point converage and speed.

As far as the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM lens goes, it seems that it has been out of production for a while.  Canon seems to be out of stock of new lenses, as well as all of their distributors.  I have not seen a new copy for sale in nearly a year. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Sigma has a 150-600 5-6.3 DG OS with TC 1.4 magnification."

I either own or have owned every 150-600mm zuper zoom on the market. I have never used one on a R series camera but what I do know about them on a EF mount camera is don't do it. It is not a very good idea. You will give up IQ and a full stop.

" I shoot sport events seldom but sometimes flight shows."

I don't know what that means but why do you need over 800mm of FL for sports? Better advice is get closer to the action. What kind of sports are you shooting?

"The Canon EF 400 5.6 comes in question, too"

Possible but again not a good idea.  The ef 300mm f4L, however, does handle a 1.4x tel-con very well. Gives you a 420mm f5.6 with IS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...perhaps soon replaced by a 90D and the R5 as new top cam."

IMHO, I would not be in the market for any more EF cameras.  The future is the R series and lenses. Use what you have but invest in R series gear from now on.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

No-Frills
Contributor

Thank you all for the answers, I will answer all in one:

@Waddizzle: the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM lens goes, it seems that it has been out of production for a while .... I have not seen a new copy for sale in nearly a year.

As you can see I live in Germany an here you cant get some new ones. A few reliable dealer have some. Some ebay dealer and private seller I did'nt trust at all that the stuff is really brandnew. 4 weeks ago a dealer bought my EF 70-200mm 4.0 USM IS at a sensational price point. Possible reasons: have 3 or 5 broken lenses, buy a good one, repair and sell 3 or 5 about the sensational price.

@ebiggs1:
flight shows are air shows with airplanes, skydivers. There you can't get closer to the action. And I question that an EOS R with a Sigma ist really an issue. I shot two air shows in 2019 with a Fuji XT and got at both events more good shots as two photographers with next to me, one with EOS 5D III and one with 5D IV. Fuji hasn't the greatest AF. Comparing all my experience with both systems, the lenses 3 phographers used and my newer EOS R experiences I would say that a combination of the R and a Sigma 150-600 can hold up. It is also a question of how times to use a lens and how much money to spend on it. I shoot air shows once or twice a year, an air show lasts 6 to 8 hours: how much good shots can I get with the perfect lens, how much with an acceptable lens?

My TC questions are more theoretical. Is asked fort it becase I want to knwo if someone has checked it out and experience. It is always good to know more or get opinions about it.

I checked out my most used reaches today by searching in Exif Data my shots of the last 4 years:

Fisheye barely 1 %
about 65 % wide angle up to 105mm, most wide angle 24-25mm, seldom under 24mm
about 25 % 105mm up to 400mm
more as 400mm under 5 %, but sometimes more reach will be great
left overs: macro images images with tubes close -up leneses or adopted analog lenses.

For 5 % use of a 600mm I want buy (today) an very expensive RF lens which I can't use an the EOS DSRLs. Shure, RF is great and the future but in my opinion all my Canon DSLRs will do a good job for the next years.

If you want to visit Germany feel free to ask me about good locations for photography in my region (Ruhr district, ex coal mine area, Duesseldorf). And yes, my username is inspired by some sketches of the Carol Burnett Show.

600mm is fine for an airshow.Exif.jpg

Announcements