cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Lens? Strange Application

MattBaugh
Apprentice

Hi,

I stream board games and am looking to upgrade my overhead shot.

I need to keep a 44" x 60" area in frame (roughly a 4:3 aspect ratio) with minimal parallax at the edges. I can place the camera 4-5 ft above the play surface with a normal C-stand/overhead set up.

I have a Canon M50 and am considering an M200 because the size seems good for an overhead rig.

Any suggestions on what lens would produce the best results for these cameras? Still very new to all of this.

Thanks so much!

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For 25mm, that would force you to put your camera 6 feet 3 inches away.   As I mentioned earlier, for the maximum distance being 5 feet, you'd need 20 mm or wider to fit everything (i.e. 18, 14, etc.).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Assuming I did things correctly, at that distance (I used 5 feet), you'd need a 20mm or wider lens on the APS-C sized senor in the M50.

I used 3D software to set up a camera with sensor size width of 22.3 mm, a gray rectangle of 60 x 44 inches, and the camera at 5 feet away:

board_game_simulation.png

board_game_camera_settings.png

The result (I output to a 3:2 aspect ratio) is:

board_game_frame.png

That wide angle lens (field of view as if it was a 32mm on your camera) would distort near the edges.  How much, I don't know.  But your only other options would either be to use a standard/short-telephoto lens, but have the camera much further  away.   Or, move to a full frame camera.   At a distance of 5 feet, you could then use a 32mm focal length).  For 35mm, the distance would need to be around 5 feet 5 inches.

--
Ricky

Ricky,

Thanks for your amazing response!

I'm still very new. I'm not saying I am going to buy this lens, but would this be an example that would fit what you've describe? a 25mm wide angle lens?

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Aperture-Compatible-Mirrorless-Cameras/dp/B083SMLSCW/ref=sr_1_3?dchild...

Thanks,

Matt

For 25mm, that would force you to put your camera 6 feet 3 inches away.   As I mentioned earlier, for the maximum distance being 5 feet, you'd need 20 mm or wider to fit everything (i.e. 18, 14, etc.).

--
Ricky

Announcements