cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Canon lens for model photography?

rickharso59
Apprentice

I've got a 50mm 0.45/1.5ft f/1.8 lens atm but its not working for me as the focal length which is giving me a hard time shooting everything I want included in a photo.

I'm considering Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM but it is a bit expensive for my taste. Are there any similar lenses for a cheaper price? be it japanese or w/e does not matter to me. I'm looking for the best portrait lens I can get for the cheapest price. Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5

SBK
Enthusiast

Check out the Canon EF 85mm f:1.8 ... much cheaper and still good quality.

Ray-uk
Whiz

@rickharso59 wrote:

I've got a 50mm 0.45/1.5ft f/1.8 lens atm but its not working for me as the focal length which is giving me a hard time shooting everything I want included in a photo.

You don't mention which camera you are using, with a full frame camera the 50mm is a normal general purpose lens and may be a bit short for portraits, with a crop camera it acts like like a slightly longer lens and should be more suitable.

You say you can't get everything you want in the photo so that would suggest that you either need to take the shot from a greater distance or get a shorter (more wide angle) lens, an 85mm would be going in the wrong direction.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Can you clarify, "not getting everything you want included"?  Are you talking about within the frame borders or in terms of keeping what is needed from front to back within critical focus, aka depth of field?

If the problem is keeping everything within the frame and you are in a working environment where you cannot move further back then as Ray noted you will need a shorter focal length instead of longer.  If you are going for a highly blurred background but you have to be too close to the model to completely frame the desire content while achieving the desired background blur, then a faster (wider aperture) or longer focal length lens is what you need.

Try a depth of field calculator to look at various combinations of distance, what is in frame, and the depth within critical focus and this will help you decide what focal length and f stop is needed to fit your work parameters.  This one is easy to use and includes typical model coverage settings from face to full body as quick presets in the calculation setup: 

https://www.pointsinfocus.com/tools/depth-of-field-and-equivalent-lens-calculator/#{%22c%22:[{%22f%2...}

Don't forget to change the camera/sensor type to APS-C in the calculator if you are using a crop camera.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

@rickharso59 wrote:

I'm considering Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM but it is a bit expensive for my taste. Are there any similar lenses for a cheaper price? be it japanese or w/e does not matter to me. I'm looking for the best portrait lens I can get for the cheapest price. Any suggestions?

Yes, please explain what you mean by "which is giving me a hard time shooting everything I want included in a photo"

Also, please tell us which camera you are using, and what type "models" are you shooting.  Do you mean fashion models? Or scale models of plains, trains, automobiles, ships, etc?  

Mike Sowsun

Easy solution although not a cheap one, a 24-70mm f2.8 or 17-55mm f2.8 zoom.

(FF)                     (cropper)

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements