cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I find old repair parts?

RodolfoLd
Apprentice

Hello,

I have a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L IS USM (version 1) lens, which I accidentally dropped and now the front ring assembly is bent. Canon discontinued this lens in 2015, so they don't make the parts anymore. I've looked for it everywhere (web, camera stores, repair shops) but I cannot find it. I cannot repair it 'cause I left the lens in Perú, the lens is not mine, it's a friend's; that's why I need to buy a replacement part for it.

Does anybody know where can I find it?

Please, I'm desperate.

Thanks in advance for your help.

7 REPLIES 7

I hate to add to your misery, but I hardly think that replacing the ring assembly is a fix. If the lens fell hard enough to bend a metal part, you have to assume that there is likely to be internal damage or misalignment as well. A lens is a precision instrument, and precision instruments don't take well to being dropped. If may be logistically impossible to have the lens professionally repaired, but replacing a single part may be just throwing good money after bad.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

RodolfoLd
Apprentice
The lens works just fine, all crystals are perfect and all cool. It’s just that, since the ring is bent, the zoom won’t get to its full corners since the top won’t allow it to. I removed the top and the zoom works perfectly. The lens works perfectly. I already took it to repair-men and the lens is all good. I just need to replace the part.

I agree with Bob from Boston.  The likelihood that there is no further damage is remote.  Just because you can move parts does not indicate all is well.  However, knowing you are not going to heed our warnings, if Canon no longer supplies parts, your only option is to buy another junk lens and cannibalize it for the necessary parts.

Even though this is a fairly expensive lens, it may still not be worth it to fix it.  A good used lens is probably a better option. One that has not been dropped!  Next to submerging a lens in water, dropping is the worse thing you can do.  They are precision instruments after all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Google lens rentals. If you read the recent blog post about lens protection, you can see that they have a few front lens elements. If you talk to them nicely, they may sell you one with minor scratches.

...or just buy another used lens and actually use that lens instead of buying and cannibalizing a junk used lens.  Pric shouldn't be high either way. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

amfoto1
Authority

Have you tried contacting Canon? If the lens was manufactured up to 2015, there's at least some chance that spare parts are still available. Often parts continue to be available for some time after an item has been discontinued. So give Canon Service & Repair Dept. a call. (Actually, if you had a professional repair person work on it, they should have done so. But, who knows?)

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Yeh, I already tried calling them, they don’t have it 😕

Announcements